Question 5950X vs 5800X3D for 4K gaming ?

belzoth

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2014
5950X vs 5800X3D for my use case?

I have a 2700x and a 2080ti now. My game plan all along was to buy the best CPU at the end of the cycle and then not upgrade for another 5 years at CPU if I could help it and just upgrade the GPU 1 or 2 times. So maybe I end up with a new Nvidia card in the next 1-2 years with their next launch and again later down the road .

I have 3 monitors and typically I game at 4k on 1 monitor, have Netflix on the second, on the third discord and a web browser. This is a typical day for me and I don't use my computer for any work reasons.

My issue is I don't know what the best chip is to finish out my time on this platform. I am debating between the 5950x and the 5800x3d to last me the next 5+ years in the way I use my computer. I mainly play LOL and PUBG the most and I'm planning to start playing Star Citizen more in the coming years. I do play the occasional AAA title as well. I'm not upgrading the MOBO and money isn't a factor in this decision for me.

5950X vs 5800X3D for my use case?

I have a 2700x and a 2080ti now. My game plan all along was to buy the best CPU at the end of the cycle and then not upgrade for another 5 years at CPU if I could help it and just upgrade the GPU 1 or 2 times. So maybe I end up with a new Nvidia card in the next 1-2 years with their next launch and again later down the road .

I have 3 monitors and typically I game at 4k on 1 monitor, have Netflix on the second, on the third discord and a web browser. This is a typical day for me and I don't use my computer for any work reasons.

My issue is I don't know what the best chip is to finish out my time on this platform. I am debating between the 5950x and the 5800x3d to last me the next 5+ years in the way I use my computer. I mainly play LOL and PUBG the most and I'm planning to start playing Star Citizen more in the coming years. I do play the occasional AAA title as well. I'm not upgrading the MOBO and money isn't a factor in this decision for me.
5800X3D might be good for gaming, since multi core never equals to better gaming performance. Users with ryzen 2ccd sometimes complaints abt the micro stuttering (back before fTPM was a thing) in competitive cpu bound games, and the way to fix it is by forcing the game to run it on 1 CCD (Core 0 to Core 11 on 3900x/5900x, Core 0 to core 15 on 3950/5950x).

Reactions: belzoth
4k gaming is more dependent on the graphics card than the cpu.
Yes, a cpu upgrade to a 5800X3D is a big boost.
Since funds are not an issue and you want a boost now, upgrade now.
5 years is an eternity so far as "future proofing"
Fortunately there are new graphics offerings coming that will offer perhaps a 15% boost in price/performance when bought new.
For 4k gaming, the past recommendation has been a 3080 class card or better. Fortunately, 3080/3090 cards are now being discounted in anticipation of new nvidia and amd offerings.