[SOLVED] 5g isnt giving low latency

Dec 23, 2019
ive recently switched to 5g and while 5g is supposed to be give me a response time of 1 millisecond, mine gives me 20 milliseconds while i am very close to the tower in my area.is there something i need to do with my router or is there something else

Solution
Why do gamers believe the myth that someone with slightly lower latency has some advantage. Game companies know this is a issues and have designed the games to compensate for it. They use methods to introduce artificial delays so no one gets a advantage. The ISP actually factors in the delay to the end clients when it they send it so that everyone receives the update at about the same time. They of course can only do so much they have trouble fixing the difference say between someone that has 100ms and someone that has 200ms. This is actually one of the things speed hackers and cheaters use. They can manipulate their connection to artificially add and remove delays to gain a advantage as the server adjust the rates it sends...

kanewolf

Titan
ive recently switched to 5g and while 5g is supposed to be give me a response time of 1 millisecond, mine gives me 20 milliseconds while i am very close to the tower in my area.is there something i need to do with my router or is there something else
20ms to where? It may be 1ms to the tower. The rest of the journey to google or your game server is the same as somebody on cable internet.

Dec 23, 2019
15 to 25ms is good for most internet access. Your packets have to move thousnds of miles for most traffic. You can't change distance or the speed of electrical transmission. Your latency seems normal to me.
i live 20 miles from the server used in the speed test and the fortnite servers are like 300 miles away from me ,my friends 200 miles away from the server get around 5 ms in game.

Why do gamers believe the myth that someone with slightly lower latency has some advantage. Game companies know this is a issues and have designed the games to compensate for it. They use methods to introduce artificial delays so no one gets a advantage. The ISP actually factors in the delay to the end clients when it they send it so that everyone receives the update at about the same time. They of course can only do so much they have trouble fixing the difference say between someone that has 100ms and someone that has 200ms. This is actually one of the things speed hackers and cheaters use. They can manipulate their connection to artificially add and remove delays to gain a advantage as the server adjust the rates it sends data to them.

Fortnite is even less affeceted than other shooter type games because it has so much RNG involved and most guns work like lasers.

Reactions: MrDooDoo69
Solution