[SOLVED] 5Ghz 100mbps but ethernet LAN 20mbps?

rawfiul

Reputable
Apr 14, 2018
When i ping servers in my city, I get a 100mbps up and down (both on PC and mobile)

When i ping servers outside my city, i get a 100mbps up and down ONLY on my mobile. On pc, the downloads are around 20-40mbps and uploads around 70mbps

With 2.4Ghz on mobile, the results fall weirdly between LAN speeds and 5Ghz speeds

I find this very disturbing

I recently got a 100MBPS optical fiber connection

They set up a modem which acts as a router as well (model - G-140W-F)

My PC mobo - Asus B360m-k with interal realtek PCIe GBe 1GBPS LAN card with CAT-5E cable

I also have a 2.4Ghz wifi receiver for my PC, it gives me same results as ethernet with a lil more ping

I am using speedtest.net on different browsers and pinging the same servers, using my mobile and PC

No other clients are active/using bandwidth when checking speeds.

The "mobile" represents more than 1 mobile (tested on 3 mobiles back to back)

Used different LAN cables but same output

A point to note - I have seen this same activity on my previous static ip ISP, now that i have a new router and new lan cable, and my lan card on latest driver, this seems to be a windows/router setting error

Enabling Windows Auto Tuning boosted my PC speed from 8mbps to 40mbps (thats half problem solved)

Solution
I don't think that motherboard comes with it but if you have any of the stupid gamer network software asus packages make sure it is uninstalled.

I would get a linux image that you can boot from a USB stick. Many have browser pre installed so you can just run speedtest like you do under windows.

It is unlikely a hardware issue. More likely some driver or maybe idiot microsoft busted stuff again with their patches.
I don't think that motherboard comes with it but if you have any of the stupid gamer network software asus packages make sure it is uninstalled.

I would get a linux image that you can boot from a USB stick. Many have browser pre installed so you can just run speedtest like you do under windows.

It is unlikely a hardware issue. More likely some driver or maybe idiot microsoft busted stuff again with their patches.

Solution

rawfiul

Reputable
Apr 14, 2018

ok so i did try on a linux, the speeds were better consistently
assuming it was all windows fault, i looked up a bunch of network optimization tips online, analyzed them correctly and applied

can say its atleast better if not at par with my mobile 5Ghz

i might just end up buying a nice 5Ghz wifi receiver but i am really uncertain if that will help me at all