5GHz bandwidth saturation issues

Guelfo83

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017
I am experiencing some issues with my 5GHz Wi-Fi connection that seem to be related to the number of devices connected. I have a Netgear Nighthawk X8 that covers my entire flat. 32 devices are constantly connected to the router which is configured with a 2.4GHz network and two 5GHz networks (one 802.11n and one 802.11ac) merged together under the same SSID to which most of my devices are connected. This router is connected to a fibre modem through a LAN cable and the broadband connection speed is never below 50Mbps. All the devices have a static IP and the DHCP is set to allow only 32 devices to connect to the network. MAC filter is active.

Despite to this, I have some issues with my devices. For about 2 months my thermostat was not working properly. It was connected to the 5GHz network but it was often offline. During the same time, many devices took ages to connect to the network; lost network signal and sometimes weren't able to connect at all. My TV box suffered long buffering time and, in some occasions, it lost the connection with the router. After I have decided to connect the thermostat to the 2.4GHz these issues disappeared. Anyway, as I am planning to buy new wifi devices, I don't want to have network issues again and I want to find a solution for connecting an elevate number of devices to the 5GHz network.

I was thinking to a wifi mesh solution but I have no problem with signal coverage. My only problem seems to be related to the number of devices connected. Apparently, the 5GHz band is sature and I cannot connect other devices to it. Do you think that wifi mesh could fix this problem? Do you know what other solutions I could try (different router, buying a bridge, etc)?

Solution
I would be very surprised if it were the number of devices, if some, like you describe are extremely low overhead devices such as thermostats. As stated above I would separate the networks to see where the issue is occurring. Why are you using MAC filtering? What do you thing you gain from it as it's just another process on the router. Unless you are willing to spend a small fortune on a proper system with a controller I would avoid mesh for now, the technology isn't really there yet. I'm also unsure why you would restrict access via DHCP, this again does nothing for you.

kanewolf

Titan
I would start by having unique SSIDs so that you are sure which of the three possible networks you are connecting to. With one SSID you are guessing which network is being used. Maybe you have unique passwords on each which would specify which network you were joining.

Move as many devices as possible to wired. It will ALWAYS be more reliable than wireless.

Guelfo83

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, almost all of them are wifi only devices and cannot be connected to an Ethernet port.

I would be very surprised if it were the number of devices, if some, like you describe are extremely low overhead devices such as thermostats. As stated above I would separate the networks to see where the issue is occurring. Why are you using MAC filtering? What do you thing you gain from it as it's just another process on the router. Unless you are willing to spend a small fortune on a proper system with a controller I would avoid mesh for now, the technology isn't really there yet. I'm also unsure why you would restrict access via DHCP, this again does nothing for you.

Solution