5GHz or 2.4?

Solution

Powerline adapters like these, it's not a brand.

Your issues with ethernet-speed vs wifi-speed have been noted, particularly for PS4, when the QoS settings on the router aren't...

ShadowPrimeOne

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
Depends on the router position and model. 5Ghz can travel through a few walls but it will drop in strength, but 5ghz much faster then 2.4ghz but only if you have the internet connection to back it up. Also if you don't want stutters during gameplay I recommend leaving fewer devices on the band with the ps4 on it.

Mar 2, 2018

I have. Is powerline the brand? and we're talking about MoCA? I have a coax in my gaming room but looked under the crawl space and it's not connected. I have a splitter but I'm not sure if there's a particular MHz or whatnot needed and it'd suck to split it there plus again in the living room. but hey, at least I'd get half and be hardwired in! 5GHz picks up better tho. I get around 100Mbps with it in my room. Now, if I take the ps4 in the living room and plug it up w/ Ethernet it only does around 50Mbps. Is it me or is something not right there?

remy721

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012

Powerline adapters like these, it's not a brand.

Your issues with ethernet-speed vs wifi-speed have been noted, particularly for PS4, when the QoS settings on the router aren't configured correctly. You can find out more about QoS here.

Regarding your original question: the stronger signal is the one you should use. Even though 5Ghz is capable of transferring data faster, if the signal strength at your PS4's location is weak, it won't matter, and your better off at 2.4Ghz. 2.4Ghz penetrates solid objects better than 5Ghz, and you can't be sure what's inside the wall between you and the router (like metal conduit, pipes, ducts, etc.). If you want to get really techy with it, download a Wifi Analyzer app to your phone, and test various spots in your room to see if there's a better location to put the Playstation.

As far as other devices -- this depends somewhat on your router and it's radio count and processor, but in general, the few devices connected at all is best. Wifi works with one device at a time. It rotates through each device and handles requests one at a time. So the more devices, the longer your PS4 has to wait before it gets it's turn again. The number of radios, if coupled with a faster processor, can handle multiple devices at 'once' (sort of), and for simplicity it's often setup on a per-network basis - 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz - so, it's better to keep the devices on the same band as the PS4 to a minimum (it should be noted that it doesn't truly handle multiple requests at once -- unless the router and device are using MU-MIMO, but ignore that -- since the requests are fed down to the modem one at a time, but the radios can accept multiple requests at once).

Solution