[SOLVED] 5GHz to 2.4GHz. Options

bigrak

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017
Not long ago I stopped receiving open wifi signals with my Hawking Hw2R1 smart repeater on 2.4GHz with external receiving antenna. The open signals are now broadcasting in 5GHz. What are my options to receive Wi-Fi back again and broadcast in my home with 2.4GHz?
All help is appreciated .

Solution
It is surprising that a client-bridge does not work. The problem I suspect is there are multiple modes these devices can run in. I do not know the details of that engenius device. The simple client bridge lets a single device hook up via ethernet. This really is not much different than a USB wifi nic it just uses a different type of cable....and of course all the configuration is done in bridge rather than the pc.

The problem comes if you want to run multiple devices behind the bridge. This is commonly done with a feature called WDS but many public wifi points have this disabled both for security reasons and because it allows them to control the number of devices/mac address that connect.

Some bridges can run in a...

kanewolf

Titan
Not long ago I stopped receiving open wifi signals with my Hawking Hw2R1 smart repeater on 2.4GHz with external receiving antenna. The open signals are now broadcasting in 5GHz. What are my options to receive Wi-Fi back again and broadcast in my home with 2.4GHz?
All help is appreciated .
I assume this "open" WIFI comes from outside your house? If so you may have to put a 5Ghz WIFI device outside and run an ethernet cable inside to get a good signal. 5Ghz does not penetrate walls as well as 2.4Ghz. Once inside, you can use a router as a WIFI source or use it directly connected to a device.
Ubiquiti and Engenious make outdoor 5Ghz WIFI bridges.

Reactions: bigrak

bigrak

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017
I assume this "open" WIFI comes from outside your house? If so you may have to put a 5Ghz WIFI device outside and run an ethernet cable inside to get a good signal. 5Ghz does not penetrate walls as well as 2.4Ghz. Once inside, you can use a router as a WIFI source or use it directly connected to a device.
Ubiquiti and Engenious make outdoor 5Ghz WIFI bridges.
I was using the Hawking smart repeater with antenna on a window sill catching outside signals.
I connected an Engenious long range 5mhz. N300 outdoor CPE client bridge with the help of tech support but it would not work. They said because of the ip configuration coming back starting as 169. Because of this will I continue to have this problem?
Phone, laptop pick up the signals directly perfectly.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
It is surprising that a client-bridge does not work. The problem I suspect is there are multiple modes these devices can run in. I do not know the details of that engenius device. The simple client bridge lets a single device hook up via ethernet. This really is not much different than a USB wifi nic it just uses a different type of cable....and of course all the configuration is done in bridge rather than the pc.

The problem comes if you want to run multiple devices behind the bridge. This is commonly done with a feature called WDS but many public wifi points have this disabled both for security reasons and because it allows them to control the number of devices/mac address that connect.

Some bridges can run in a third mode which does not have a standard name, I have seen tplink call it universal, but the bridge actually runs as a router and makes it appear all the devices behind it share a common mac and IP address.

So I would first attempt to find a way to get your engenious bridge to work with a single pc hooked to it. You can then hook it to a inexpensive router to create the 2.4g signal.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
I was using the Hawking smart repeater with antenna on a window sill catching outside signals.
I connected an Engenious long range 5mhz. N300 outdoor CPE client bridge with the help of tech support but it would not work. They said because of the ip configuration coming back starting as 169. Because of this will I continue to have this problem?
Phone, laptop pick up the signals directly perfectly.
Thanks for your help.
I have an Engenious 2.4Ghz bridge. I had to watch several YouTube videos before I correctly set it up. I would recommend using your cell phone as a hot spot to practice setting up the Engenious.

Reactions: bigrak