[SOLVED] 5pin connecter into 16pin socket

Solution
If you look at the image, one of the pins in the 6pin connector is missing, that's why I called it a 5pin. I checked the manual for the PSU it also mentioned 5pin connectors.

I tried finding an image of all the included "optional" cables, but the psu is a bit old now and it proved to be difficult. Here is the manual if it helps somehow. In table 2 of the manual it mentions 5pin sata cables, so I have some certainty its from this PSU. Sleeving and appearance is also consistent with other cables from this PSU.
https://www.pdf-manuals.com/pdf/ant...g-750m-b-h-photo-video-238169-user-manual.pdf

It's still a 6-pin connector. The 24-pin connector didn't become a 23-pin when the -5V pin was removed; it...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Where did you find the harness/cable from? Make and model of the older, unknown PSU? The answer is NO! Don't use other PSU cables in another PSU's input ports since not all manufacturer's will have the same pinout on their units. If you have that Antec HCG750 unit, you should be in possession of a 5 pin to SATA harness, as shown in this review.

Reactions: bogsna
The only option I see to connect it is to connect it to the 16 pin 12v socket. Is it actually fine to only use 5 of the 16pins available in the socket? Im a bit worried.
The cable is from a different model PSU.
Modular cables are not interchangeable between different PSU models.
Even if those cables can fit physically (sometimes), cable pinout can be different.
Using such incompatible cables will result in damaged/killed hardware.

Be extremely careful with modular PSU cables. If you're not sure, if the cable is compatible, then don't use it.

Mar 5, 2021
That looks like the 6-pin that goes into the modular port of a different PSU. And is that what you're talking about? Not sure what a "five pins" you're talking about.
If you look at the image, one of the pins in the 6pin connector is missing, that's why I called it a 5pin. I checked the manual for the PSU it also mentioned 5pin connectors.

I tried finding an image of all the included "optional" cables, but the psu is a bit old now and it proved to be difficult. Here is the manual if it helps somehow. In table 2 of the manual it mentions 5pin sata cables, so I have some certainty its from this PSU. Sleeving and appearance is also consistent with other cables from this PSU.
https://www.pdf-manuals.com/pdf/ant...g-750m-b-h-photo-video-238169-user-manual.pdf

DSzymborski

Titan

It's still a 6-pin connector. The 24-pin connector didn't become a 23-pin when the -5V pin was removed; it helps to keep the terminology consistent.

The 5-pin connector referred to here is the one that actually comes with the PSU, that connects in the five-pin slot on the PSU itself. This is a proprietary thing as well; there's no standard "5-pin connector" of this type. The only place it goes is that five-pin vertical row.

This cable does not go with this PSU.

Solution
Mar 5, 2021
It's still a 6-pin connector. The 24-pin connector didn't become a 23-pin when the -5V pin was removed; it helps to keep the terminology consistent.

The 5-pin connector referred to here is the one that actually comes with the PSU, that connects in the five-pin slot on the PSU itself. This is a proprietary thing as well; there's no standard "5-pin connector" of this type. The only place it goes is that five-pin vertical row.

This cable does not go with this PSU.

It makes sense.
I won't be trying to connect it. I think my previous PSU was also Antec, so the cable was probably from the old one.