-5v connection no longer required?

scottriddle

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
I just purchased a new coolermaster power supply for my new build . I attempted to give it a trial run in my existing box which is and ASUS with a Anthlon xp 2400+ so id say its at least 2 years old . I noticed it had a 20/24 pin connector , easy enough to fix the last 4-pins break away easy enough . Well when i hit the power switch nothing happened . The green LED on the MB ( power indicator ) was on . I did some checking and noticed that there was no white wire on the power connector ( pin #18) now on the troubleshooting guide on Coolermaster website it says something about a new standard and it not requiring a -5v connection to update my bios . Is this true ? And will it work with a newer MB like the Gigabyte socket 939 Nvidia 3 chipset ?
All systems are AMD by the way . And when I put my old 350x power supply back in everything worked just fine . The new one is a 430w by the way. Any help is appreciated .

clueo8

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
But none of the older motherboards (ie last year) will work with this new ATX 2.01 power supply standard with no -5v ???