[SOLVED] 5v rgb splitter cable question

richard203

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
so i brought the ek 6 way rgb splitter cable and was wondering how many can i plug into the ek 6 way rgb splitter? im asking this because i dont want to overload one header. my motherboard is a asus dark hero viii

Solution
Your mobo has two Addressable Gen2 headers. The manual says each can supply 5 VDC at up to 3A max load. The Splitter you have is just that - it has no other power source, to that limit applies to each header, but you could get a second Splitter if needed. I doubt you will need it, though.

Lighting devices ( whether strips or fans with LED's in their frames) ought to give you a spec of the max current (in Amps) each device will pull. Then you just add up all the items connected to one header. Unfortunately, often they do NOT tell you that. So if you cannot get that info from the lights themselves or from the maker's web pages, you can try this "rule of thumb". They often DO tell you how many LED's are in one light strip or fan. Figure...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Your mobo has two Addressable Gen2 headers. The manual says each can supply 5 VDC at up to 3A max load. The Splitter you have is just that - it has no other power source, to that limit applies to each header, but you could get a second Splitter if needed. I doubt you will need it, though.

Lighting devices ( whether strips or fans with LED's in their frames) ought to give you a spec of the max current (in Amps) each device will pull. Then you just add up all the items connected to one header. Unfortunately, often they do NOT tell you that. So if you cannot get that info from the lights themselves or from the maker's web pages, you can try this "rule of thumb". They often DO tell you how many LED's are in one light strip or fan. Figure 20 mA (that's 0.020 A) max per LED, and calculate the max load in amps for one lighting unit. Do the same for all of them. Add up and you have a good estimate. The numbers say that 3.0 A max can support up to 150 LED's total in several devices all connected to one header via a Splitter.

Solution

richard203

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
i guess its gonna be hard to figure it out but i dont think i will max out the header, if anything i'll just add another splitter on the 2nd header, i think i have only a few item that are rgb. what happen if you went over the max support? will it damage anything or just wont have enough power to power the led?

richard203

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
If you tell us how many lighting devices (fans or strips) you have, and what model and maker they are, we can help estimate the current load.

heres the list that im installing

1x EK-Quantum Magnitude D-RGB - AM4 Nickel + Plexi
2x EK-Quantum Vector FTW3 RTX 3080/3090 D-RGB - Nickel + Plexi
2x EK-Quantum Vector FTW3 RTX 3080/3090 Active Backplate D-RGB - Plexi
1x EK-Quantum Kinetic TBE 200 D5 PWM D-RGB - Plexi

that should be it i think

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thanks for info. The web pages show:
CPU Water Block has 30 LED's
Each GPU Water Block has 9 LED''s, so 18 Total
Dual Reservoirs do NOT tell us LED count. For now, suppose each has 21, Total 42
That makes an even 100 LED's, probably an overestimate. At 20 mA per LED, that comes to 2.0 A, and the mobo header can supply up to 3.0 A. You should have no electrical problem connecting all of those to a single mobo ARGB header. You just need an ARGB Splitter with at least four output arms.

Of course, this does NOT allow for any fans, since you have not indicated any in your lighting unit list.

richard203

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
no rgb fan since im using noctuc fan i wish they come out with rgb gotta use that brown color. ya i brought a ek rgb splitter that have 6 slot so look like it barely on the limit i emailed ek how many led is on the pump. so total right now 64led without the pump

cpu - 30led = 30
2x active backplate - 8led each = 16
2x active frontplate - 9led each = 18
pump - ??

Last edited:

richard203

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
oky got an reply bak from ek they say 11 led on the pump

cpu - 30led = 30
2x active backplate - 8led each = 16
2x active frontplate - 9led each = 18