[SOLVED] 5x 140mm fans in NZXT H710i ?

Foksrad

Prominent
Feb 8, 2020
Hello,

I will get the NZXT H710i case and the AIO Kraken X63 RGB watercooling.

I would like to change the four basic 120mm fans of the case to put three AER RGB 2 140mm fans.

In the end I would have five 140mm RGB fans including :
  • Front : 2x 140mm in intake
  • Rear : 1x 140mm in exhaust
  • Top : 2x 140mm + watercooling radiator in exhaust

Normally this configuration is in negative pressure but I would like positive pressure.

My question is : Does the radiator retain enough air to have a positive pressure in the case ?
And if not, how do I configure the exhaust fans to have a positive pressure?

Config :

Thank you in advance if you have a solution to offer me.

Solution
Don't the fans always have the same distance to the walls because they are attached to them?
Yes, but you're shaking up the formula now with the radiator.

I was saying that the LEDs would be hidden by the radiator if it's on the front while if it's on top the RGB fans are visible since the radiator is on top of them.
There's 2 ways to do either:
Front mount
-Fans in front of radiator: LEDs hidden.
-Fans behind radiator: LEDs hidden, but offers the best performance because fans are farther from the front panel and the benefit of fans in pull config.

Top mount
-Fans below radiator: LEDs visible.
-Fans above radiator: LEDs hidden.

I didn't understand what min-max means.
Usually used in the context of roleplaying...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Normally this configuration is in negative pressure but I would like positive pressure.
That chassis is preinstalled with 3 front intake and 1 rear exhaust? How's that negative pressure?
Plus, the H700 wasn't marketed for negative pressure - the H500 was; there's probably enough holes around the box that positive/neutral/negative pressure doesn't even apply anyway.
Set it up however you want to, just be sure to position the radiator fans further from the wall, whether you do front or top mount.
After thinking about it... pull front intake is probably better than pull top exhaust or push top exhaust.

But hey, it should be fine however you set it up - as long as you stick to front intake and top exhaust.

Foksrad

Prominent
Feb 8, 2020
Okay, thank you for your answer.

Yes, the pressure is not negative but as I want to add two exhaust fans, the pressure will become negative.

The PC is not close to the walls and it has a lot of space so I'm not worried about that.

Also, why would it be better to put the radiator in front?

If it's really better I might put it in the front but the RGB would be useless in this case since the radiator will hide the fans.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Also, why would it be better to put the radiator in front?
-The further the fans are from the walls that are the front and top panels, the more 'breathing room' they have.
-There is some air blowback with fans in the push orientation. It's a minor thing, but still, pull is a little more effective because it gets around that.
By walls, I meant the chassis' walls, not the walls in your room.

If it's really better I might put it in the front but the RGB would be useless in this case since the radiator will hide the fans.
Huh? Wouldn't the front panel hide the LEDs anyway? For the best visuals, I'd think push top exhaust would be best.
It's not downright terrible, so you can still do what you want, but if you were trying to min-max, it wouldn't be the best.

Foksrad

Prominent
Feb 8, 2020
Don't the fans always have the same distance to the walls because they are attached to them?

So the best configuration would be :
Front: 2x 140mm + watercooling radiator in intake
Rear: 1x 140mm in exhaust
Top: 2x 140mm in exhaust

I was saying that the LEDs would be hidden by the radiator if it's on the front while if it's on top the RGB fans are visible since the radiator is on top of them.

I didn't understand what min-max means. :sweatsmile:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, but you're shaking up the formula now with the radiator.

There's 2 ways to do either:
Front mount
-Fans in front of radiator: LEDs hidden.
-Fans behind radiator: LEDs hidden, but offers the best performance because fans are farther from the front panel and the benefit of fans in pull config.

Top mount
-Fans below radiator: LEDs visible.
-Fans above radiator: LEDs hidden.

I didn't understand what min-max means.
Usually used in the context of roleplaying games, to min/max refers to the act of designing a character in such a way that one minimizes its weaknesses and maximizes its strengths.
Used in this scenario, it means maximizing cooling performance around the chassis weaknesses, but there's a minor sacrifice in aesthetics - well, not minor to you, at least.

Do what you want though, as it looks like I made this needlessly confusing.

Solution

Foksrad

Prominent
Feb 8, 2020
Ok thank you very much for these precious advices you are a boss

I prefer performance over aesthetics and there will already be quite a few visible LEDs.

I can do without the LEDs in the front but in itself when I said hidden, I said from the inside so they will be visible normally.

I just didn't know that it was possible to install the fans on the inside of the case if you mount the water cooling on the front because there are places for the fans on the front plate.

I had never heard the term min-max but I understand it now.

Sorry if I don't understand everything m'y main language is french. 😅

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's alright.
I just didn't know that it was possible to install the fans on the inside of the case if you mount the water cooling on the front because there are places for the fans on the front plate.
The radiator will have screw spaces on both sides.
You would secure the fans to the radiator first, 'slide' the unit in behind the fan bracket, and then secure the radiator to the bracket - like this person did:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/NZXT/comments/dhfuff/h710i_x62_and_aer_rgbs_love_it/

You can't see the radiator in their pic, but it is in front of their fans.

Foksrad

Prominent
Feb 8, 2020
Hey, I have one more question.

As it is possible to mount the fans in front of the radiator, can we install 4 fans of 140mm on the Kraken x63 at the same time? Two on each side.

I don't know if it would be efficient but I don't see why not.

Moreover with four fans in front and three in the back I will have a positive pressure.

What do you think about it?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
As it is possible to mount the fans in front of the radiator, can we install 4 fans of 140mm on the Kraken x63 at the same time? Two on each side.
Totally doable. See the following image - it's a radiator(240mm from the looks of it) sandwiched between fans on both sides.
iu

I don't know if it would be efficient but I don't see why not.
It's not efficient/practical, because of:
-the chassis' front panel. The front fan has to work even harder than before compared to if the front were open mesh. Certain annoying fan noises may result from the imbalance.
-the standard size of radiators on hybrid coolers isn't thick enough to actually be a boon with such a config. Think 60mm thick radiators on custom loops.
-extra cable clutter, especially with LED fans.

Moreover with four fans in front and three in the back I will have a positive pressure.
Don't get too focused on that. Getting air in and out effectively is more important.

TRENDING THREADS