[SOLVED] 6+2pin for a 2080ti

Sep 11, 2019
Hi guys,
I’m new to the forum.
I have a question about graphic card.
I want upgrade my graphic card to from GTX titan black to RTX 2080ti.
But my titan black only need 2 x 6pin for the power and the new RTX 2080ti need 2-3 8pin connector depend on brand. My PSU is very old, from year 2012, but was a high end psu. It has 4 x 6pin connector and each cable has 2 x 6+2pins connector, so total 8 x 6+2pin connector, can I still use this PSU to power a 2080ti? 6pin connector will only provide 75w? Do I need use all 4 connectors with 2x6pin to 8pin adapter? How many cables should I use? Any advice will be really appreciated, thank you so much!
iEAGQsC.jpg

ovn7pkf.jpg
NUIVfym.jpg
G5EqVWh.jpg
8BvwWMh.jpg
6KQxptM.jpg
ARaQz6i.jpg
kVOKMKb.jpg

Solution
Yeah, I still have 4 x 6pin left on the psu for pcei. That’s not gonna work? Thanks for reply!
Correct.
Like this, look at the image of your psu's power sockets, and subtract as you go:
-Motherboard power, 24-pin.
-Cpu power, at least 8-pin - some models have an extra 4 or 8-pin socket, but let's stick with a single 8-pin for this example.
-A 5-pin for each storage drive you have.
-2080Ti needs 2/3x 8-pin, but only a single 8-pin socket remains. It's just 6-pins after that, and it's not enough.

While your current psu has enough power, I believe it was designed for SLI/XFire on older cards, like GTX 970(2x 6-pin) or HD 6870, for example.
Depending on the GPU model, you need to connect ALL the PCI-E cables, be it 2 6/8-PIN or 3 8-PIN. Though cards with three 8-PIN cables are rare. You can use that PSU model, despite it being OLD. Or, if you want to replace that PSU, then you can do so, if you wish.

Depending on the exact GPU model, you need to connect all the power cables to the video card. Your PSU is having enough PCI-E connectors.

6pin connector will only provide 75w?

Yes. A 6-pin pci-e power connector provides 75W, the 8-pin provides 150W, the 16x pci-e slot itself can provide 75W.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019
Depending on the GPU model, you need to connect ALL the PCI-E cables, be it 2 6/8-PIn or 3 8-PIN. Though cards with three 8-PIN cables are rare. You can use that PSU model, despite it being OLD. Or, if you want to replace that PSU, then you can do so, if you wish.

Depending on the exact GPU model, you need to connect all the power cables to the video card.

Yes. A 6-pin pci-e power connector provides 75W, the 8-pin provides 150W, the 16x pci-e slot itself can provide 75W.
Ok
Depending on the GPU model, you need to connect ALL the PCI-E cables, be it 2 6/8-PIN or 3 8-PIN. Though cards with three 8-PIN cables are rare. You can use that PSU model, despite it being OLD. Or, if you want to replace that PSU, then you can do so, if you wish.

Depending on the exact GPU model, you need to connect all the power cables to the video card. Your PSU is having enough PCI-E connectors.

ok, so I can still use this psu, buy I need use all the cables..... yeah, MSI lightening z has 3 8pins. Guess I just get a normal 2080ti with 2 8pins. But I still need connect them to all 4 x 6 pin jacks? In this case I need get two dual 6pin to 8pin adapters...Thank you so much!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Hold up, Sir.
Depending on the OP's current cpu and motherboard, this psu may not be sufficient.
If the OP is using anything recent, then that's already at least one 8-pin gone from just the mobo. That leaves just one more 8-pin from the psu.
A new psu is needed.

Sep 11, 2019
Hold up, Sir.
Depending on the OP's current cpu and motherboard, this psu may not be sufficient.
If the OP is using anything recent, then that's already at least one 8-pin gone from just the mobo. That leaves just one more 8-pin from the psu.
A new psu is needed.
Yeah, I still have 4 x 6pin left on the psu for pcei. That’s not gonna work? Thanks for reply!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Correct.
Like this, look at the image of your psu's power sockets, and subtract as you go:
-Cpu power, at least 8-pin - some models have an extra 4 or 8-pin socket, but let's stick with a single 8-pin for this example.
-2080Ti needs 2/3x 8-pin, but only a single 8-pin socket remains. It's just 6-pins after that, and it's not enough.

While your current psu has enough power, I believe it was designed for SLI/XFire on older cards, like GTX 970(2x 6-pin) or HD 6870, for example.

Solution
Sep 11, 2019
Correct.

Yes, I bought the psu from 2012. Thanks for reply!