6 core AMD vs I5 quad core

stormoffires

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
ANd here comes the I5 is all there is nothing else :pt1cable:

anyways I am trying to build a comp around 700 bucks i havnt done this in awhile so ive been doing lots of research and what not. Back in the day (8 years ago) i built my desktop as a pretty sweet Intel system and it actually ran starcraft 2 on lowest settings of course. Anyways its time to scrap its guts and upgrade.

Ive been waying out the I5 vs AMDs 6 core FX-6100. I am looking for a computer that can handle good gaming as well as good processing as i do 3D modeling (google, Maya, Zmodler) as well has handle GTA IV (GTA V to come), Star wars, and heavy simulators. So ive got a 430watt power supply and a handleful of old sata hard drives (little ones might be time to upgrade those as well) but the MB, GPU, CPU, and RAM are all getting replaced. (MB is max DDR back when that was in haha) Will be running windows 7 64bit. Or would it be better to invest in AMDs 8 core?

Any help would be great, please keep your one line "I5 is better" posts to your self. If you got info to go with your post id love to hear. Im not particular to any one side yet as i have had AMD and intel in my past.

also is it better to get a 7200 RPM hard driv at 3.0gb or 5600 rpm at 6.0gb.

Solution
G
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-fx-8120-6100-4100_5.html#sect1
"Out of six scenarios, the new AMD FX processors do well only in one: during 3D modeling and rendering. It is actually not surprising, because in tasks like that the number of cores matters a lot. But even in the most favorable case eight Bulldozer cores are equivalent to four Sandy Bridge cores and the six-core FX-6100 loses even to Core i5-2320."

it really doesn't matter between a sata 3Gbs or 6Gbs, the speed, rpm will matter more.
btw, i really would consider a "quality" 550 watt psu also. .
G

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-fx-8120-6100-4100_5.html#sect1
"Out of six scenarios, the new AMD FX processors do well only in one: during 3D modeling and rendering. It is actually not surprising, because in tasks like that the number of cores matters a lot. But even in the most favorable case eight Bulldozer cores are equivalent to four Sandy Bridge cores and the six-core FX-6100 loses even to Core i5-2320."

it really doesn't matter between a sata 3Gbs or 6Gbs, the speed, rpm will matter more.
btw, i really would consider a "quality" 550 watt psu also. .

Solution

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
HDDs do not fully saturate their 3GB/s connections, so any HDD that says its "Sata III 6gb/s" is a gimmick.

Depending on what graphics card he plans on buying/if he plans on crossfire or sli will tell us what power supply he needs (along with the rest of the components)

I'll say this now, i7 2600K does not perform better than i5 2500K in gaming, in some instances you have to disable hyper threading just to get closer to the 2500K performance. Perhaps in 1 or 2 games that I know of the 2600K actually beats the 2500K by a fps or 2. So basically you are wasting $100 for the label i7.

2500K > 955BE @ 4.0ghz > 960T > 8150

I really enjoy how uniformed these guys are about something as simple as a HDD's saturation...

@ OP the 2400 is a good buy if you plan on upgrading to a Ivy Bridge later on.

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
the amd "6 core" cpu's aren't truly 6 core cpu's, their technology is a hybrid some where inbetween hyperthreading and true 6 core. end of the day any intel i5 will beat the bulldozers in about 90% of scenarios and even the i3's beat them in most gaming scenarios they just arent efficient at what they do for consumer class computers, they were initially designed as a work station class processor then modified for consumer class gear. its just the fanboys who get them now cos they dont even compete in the price/performance ratio sector which amd used to own! by the way i dont hate amd i have 3 amd systems and 2 intel in my house and im not bias its just the amd ones are older and in low performance tasks eg htpc's, kids compus and serve the purpose for which they were designed. i wouldnt have anything other than intel as my personal compu though

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

sata 6gb isnt a gimmick u just dont have a ssd that do 5.5gbps (neither do i but the fact of the matter is there are plenty of sandforce based ssd's that can) and by the way the sata 2 connection is 3gb doesnt sound like your very well informed either

stormoffires

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
maybe some day ill upgrade to cross fire but for now i was looking at the 6870 as starting, and in a year or 2 ill end up upgrading the CPU. The biggest thing right now is im trying to crawl away from my 8 year old desktop.

@jason thanks for bringing up the SSD, forgot bout those haha didnt have those back when i built the last one, so is it worth buying yet? like for running the OS/programs? i was thinking of getting the 55gb for the OS and my 3D programs

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

Firstly, obviously I had typo'd 2GB/s when I meant 3gb/s aka sata II

Secondly, we are talking about MECHANICAL HARD DRIVES They DO NOT under any circumstance fully saturate a 3GB/s SATA II connect so as I said in my original post ANY HDD with a 6GB/s connection is a GIMMICK.

No duh SSDs are totally different, not once were any of us talking about a SOLID STATE DRIVE.

Take your crap* somewhere else.

"You are uniformed because you typo'd something I can easily decypher that was incorrect that I know you knew but I am still going to say what you said I was because thats what children do."

"Now I am going to bring up SSDs cuz obviously they saturate their connections unlike HDDS which do not even saturate a 3GB/s connection which fits with my arguement that storage drives saturate their connections while ignoring your entire post about how sepcifically only HDDs do not saturate fully."

BTW, I have 2x Crucial M4 1x Intel 320 and 1x Corsair Force GT all running at their full saturations. NN QQ

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

someones cranky, end of the day sata 3 is here like usb3, things arent gonna get slower and it is possible that the person may want a ssd in the future, that was my point, chill out

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

I am ticked off because you chose to ignore everything I was saying to come to your own conclusions about something totally different than the subject I was on.

I pointed out that purchasing a HDD with the "6gb/s" feature is a gimmick no matter how you look at it.

You chose to ignore that and throw at me that SSDs run on 6gb/s and that people will want sata 6gb/s for in the future. Neither of which have anything to do with what I was saying about Hard drives... not the actual sata 6gb/s connection on the motherboards themselves which obviously you should want on your system because SSDs obviously fully saturate those connections.

Thanks for reading.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
The i5 would be fine for gaming. I suggested an i7 because he wanted to do some serious workstation tasks like 3D modeling and simulators. If you live near a Microcenter, they've got some fantastic mobo+CPU deals.

G

this is what i suggest you look at for the BASICS
i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz $189.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115074
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 $121.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

and you will need to up that PSU this is with going sli/crossfire in the future:
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 $89.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

thats about $400 and some change.

edit: gee thanks for the best answer . .i guess your going to start a build thread?
:lol:

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

+1

and +1 to the www.microcenter.com comment.

If you can drive to a microcenter this weekend you may be able to go there and buy a 2600K for $200 if they are still in stock.

stormoffires

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012

well you did settle my thoughts on which processor pretty much off the bat haha.

My build is pretty much set now just minor things. I know i need a better psu but you think my 430 would get by for a little bit?

@microcenter comment, nearest one is 200 miles sooo yeah not happen for me haha

G

depends what brand/quality. if your going to use an "entry level" gpu or the igu then yeah. but toss ina discrete gpu that is going to pull 200+ watts, you will be pushing it.