Have you read the 980X review on Anandtech? I wouldn't expect the 6-core AMD to be faster, but it probably will be less expensive. If you have deep pockets, go for the 980X.

mezal1981

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
so for gaming it would help a bit better i just select the i7 or i5, one more thing can u give me suggestion about the best cpu of AMD for gaming, i likely want to swicth to AMD platform

loneninja

Distinguished
Don't even consider the X6 for a strickly gaming rig unless you want to waste money to brag about having more cores. The 2 extra cores won't help in gaming, look at the gulftown reviews, that should prove how uselss the addition cores are. Or you could look at I5 vs I7 8XX series, the additional threads there offer no performance gains with games. Spend the extra $100 you save on a better video card.

6 cores is not even worth looking at most games barely can use four cores yet most only use 2.

If you looking to build a sick gaming rig and you want to spend 3000-4000 and want the best you can get then you want an I7 rig. Get an I7 950 or if your handy at overclocking just get the 920 and overclock it. And go from there a good crossfire motherboard a couple HD 5870's and you will be on the best gaming rig you can get. If you looking to spend a little less then an AMD Phenom II 965BE would be your choice instead either route you go with the processor you will be set for gaming for a few years.

The 6-core AMD CPUs have not been officially launched yet. So far though, it looks like their will be a black edition and the cores will be tweaked to offer a little more performance per core compared to the cores in current Phenom IIs. Even so, the extra two cores themselves will generally not help in gaming and that likely won't change for a while. After all, it took some time before games demonstrated a significant benefit with 4 cores as opposed to just two. For a gaming rig, overclocking a Phenom II 955 or 965 (C3 versions of course) is a better option. If you can budget for more then you may want to start looking at a decent X58 board and an Intel i7 920 to overclock.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
I would not buy a 920 now or before. It's simply out the range I like to spend to build a machine.

Thuban will be faster in most things? What are most things now jenny? Programs that are going to fully load 6 cores? I think thubans turbo will help it improve its performance more for "most things" than the actual two extra cores.

randomizer

Champion
Crysis will run fine on just about any modern CPU as long as you have a dual core, it really needs a beefy video card though. There are a few games that need more CPU power, such as Microsoft Flight Simulator X and GTA IV (I think?), but if you're not playing those then you don't need to aim for a high end quad or anything. If you do a fair amount of photoshop with very large PSDs and CPU-intensive filters you might want to go for a quad though. But I'd be looking at making sure you have plenty of RAM first, because PS will chew that up faster than it will CPU time.

I wouldn't bother going with an i7, stick with an i5 or Phenom II X4 955/965. Of course if you aren't interested in saving money then by all means go for something more powerful (not really worth it), but avoid the i7 980X unless you really just want to burn up cash because it simply won't benefit you in the slightest over CPUs that are a fraction of the price.

I have an i7 920, but if it wasn't for the fact that I do rendering I would not have a use for a CPU with this amount of processing power (I also got it half price :))

mezal1981

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
can u give me opinion about buying on the net is the best or my local store,same people say it will be good buying in the net . another thing is some people say many games are not yet using quad core rather than dual core.and can u tell me what benefit i choose quad core when some application only need low requirement.

randomizer

Champion
The majority of existing games will show little benefit moving from a dual core to a quad. A few of the more recent ones will show some benefit, and a small handful will take whatever processing power you can throw at them. Other non-gaming software that you run may be able to use that extra processing power though. I can't be sure without knowing exactly what you do.

As for online vs in-store purchasing: I prefer online and most people do for the convenience, but occasionally the brick-and-mortar stores have good deals. Microcenter (if you live in the US and near one of their stores) seem to have good prices on Core i7 quite often.