6 core AMD VS i7 Intel

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
After reading about the new 12 core Opterons, I wouldn't expect the new AMD 6 core desktop CPU to be faster than an Intel i7-980X, but its performance might be close to it at a lower cost. Unlike servers where the CPU cost is not that important, cost often is a decision factor for desktops.

If the 1090T sells for $300, then Intel will quickly drop the price of the i7-975 EE to stay competitive. This is good news as the i7-930 will have to cost less as well, etc. On the other hand, I'm not sure that a price war with Intel is good for AMD, but it sure is good for customers in the short term.

Pro Llama

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
With 2-3k to spend you can build a very powerful rig. I would go with a PII 965, a good AM3 motherboard, 4-8gb of DDR3, a pair of HD 5870, and a good cooling system. You could also get 2 HD 5970 but I don’t think you need all that (I don’t think anyone needs all that) and it would cost half your max budget. If you think you need a better chip after a few weeks, grab a Thuban when they come out.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008

Phenom II is going to bottleneck 5870 crossfire, even at 4ghz. (Unless you play at 30" resolution of 26x15) :/

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

Yeah. Won't get any performance increase with 16x pc lanes. Hyperthreading sometimes hurts FPS. 1156 socket is cheaper, runs cooler, lighter on power and best of all you will not notice a difference between the two. The 920, however, comes with an amazing deal: your soul for the next upgrade.

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

PROOF that jennyh has lost her mind.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008

16x will make at least a 5% difference and the 860 has hyper threading. You'd be silly not to go 1366 with that kind of budget. Especially with the 930 out.

loneninja

Distinguished

No they're not, it's the same base architecture just more cores and a couple minor tweaks. Clock for clock performance wont' go up much if any over Phenom II X4 on a "per core" basis.

BadTrip

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

What people fail to realize, with the lower clock speeds they are really gonna suck N*ts!!

mezal1981

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
yeh! but right now my point pin like to choose the AMD platform,not intel,yes, is true the I7 core realy on the top of the maoutain.becouse im using the ATI gpu and i like to squeze the AMD chipset.....to the limits......i know about intel,im intel user the performance 5 star i can give.but right now i like to swicth to AMD the intel i like to use as server and AMD as game rig....

loneninja

Distinguished

The point is, a $160 Phenom II X4 955 will get you just as far as a Phenom II X6 will in gaming when clocked the same.

loneninja

Distinguished

I doubt that since they have turbo, even the 2.8Ghz Phenom II X6 scales up to 3.3Ghz which will match all but the 965 in single threaded situations. I just wonder if they'll be capable of 4.0Ghz overclocks, but the real point is single threaded performance won't be up over current Phenom II X4.

mezal1981

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
(I doubt that since they have turbo, even the 2.8Ghz Phenom II X6 scales up to 3.3Ghz which will match all but the 965 in single threaded situations.)

maybe, but right now we wait and see,how far the 6 core in the real world. every can say until the 6 core out on the market. but i wonder in the future maybe the 6 core can be minimum requement for computer.....

Pro Llama

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009

I don’t know where you get this bs from. Look back to the i5 vs 965 posts; there is plenty of information post to disprove your statement. Unless you actually have any information to support yourself stop reposting the same thing in every thread about crossfire; repeated post of a lie doesn’t make it true.

Tig3r_47

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010

if you honestly have 2000-3000 spending amount you could practically get anything with Intel the i7's are going to cost you a pretty penny especially if you go over the 930(2.8 ghz), not to mention the cost of a good motherboard. but even at its highest an i7 960 wouldn't even scar you much especially if you combo up on things. However do not forget the accessories your going to need while doing this, a real good monitor that can keep up with the speed of the crossfire 5870"s(if you choose to go with these), Good Memory(which if you have that much money, I would go with 1600 AT least), and get good hdd's too, thats a part alot of people tend to forget, when they say just go with a tb and your good, personally I would go with a tb@7200 rpm(gb/s depends on what your mother boards has) and then get a 160 gb intel ssd, its 550(more or less) but you will notice a load of difference on boot times. Also a very very VERY good case, check your mobo size, and make sure everything will fit, and always check the specs from the manufacturer.
All said from that I hope you enjoy your new system

Since somebody already revived this thread :p: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/146?vs=99

The 1090T beats the i7-975 in exactly one benchmark - lower power consumption fully loaded. It loses in every other bench, bar none, at stock speeds. Sometimes as much as by 30 - 40%. In fact, it seems most comparable to the i7-920, winning in the heavily threaded benches but losing in the 3dsmax benches.

Haven't seen her post here in well over a month now - she get perma-banned or something? Or just give up on prosetilyzing the great unwashed masses here on THG?? :p