6 core i7 question.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

elkido122

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
Is it necessary to upgrade my 6700k for the more cpu demanding games coming out? I see that BF1 in a 64 player room a 4.2 ghz 5930k had 30% advantage over an i5 4690 at 3.9ghz . That kind of concerns me and makes me think my 6700k is not enough for new games coming out. Any help appreciated

Solution
I usually prefer asus motherboards, never had a msi motehrboard, just videocards, if you have lots of hdd units or optical units asus prime x370-pro is the only motherboard at under 200$ with 8 sata conectors. I just know that top end motherboards are asrock taichi and asus crosshair hero vi.
I can talk only about my asus: on the beta bios just realeased a few days ago there is a high chance to run your ram at 2933 or 2666. Many people after the latest bios release their ram worked at 2933.
My recommendation would be overclocking the cpu the OP has. It should have good headroom for improved speed and will give more gain in my opinion than will be seen from any cpu change. It should also be free assuming good motherboard, cooler and PSU are already owned.

I agree, overclocking your cpu it might give you 2 years or so and then you will decide between intel canon lake or ryzen 2, for now just overclock your cpu.

elkido122

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
It really is hard to decide. Some say the ryzen runs smoothly and intel is choppy well I can say mine does seem choppy . And I feel like it's a bottle neck and I seriously try to stay clear of over clocking. It's a hard choice for sure. I mean will my 32gb corsair lpx at 3000 run in a ryzen board at 3000? I've seen some people having problems going over 2400 on some ram

Well i see most of the people got them running at 2933 if not you can run them for sure at 2666, until the end of june we were promised that we will run any 3200 ram on any ryzen motherboard which supports 3200 ram. Until 3 days ago i could not run my ram more then 2133 now with the beta bios i can run them at 2666 and i hope when they will realease a stable bios i can run them at full speed which is 2800 mhz.

EDIT: One mreo advantage is that ryzen has soldered IHS while intel uses TIM even for the new x series started using tim which can cause lots of troubles, just search on google i7 7700k overheating on top end watercooler. On short no matter how good is your cooling for the cpu it will overheat due to low quality tim used between ihs and the cpu, ryzen solders the ihs to the cpu which grants a great heat transfer, proof of that you will not see ryzen getting more then 60 degrees on cores and 40-50 on package with a very good cooling system no matter what is the overclock.

I usually prefer asus motherboards, never had a msi motehrboard, just videocards, if you have lots of hdd units or optical units asus prime x370-pro is the only motherboard at under 200$ with 8 sata conectors. I just know that top end motherboards are asrock taichi and asus crosshair hero vi.
I can talk only about my asus: on the beta bios just realeased a few days ago there is a high chance to run your ram at 2933 or 2666. Many people after the latest bios release their ram worked at 2933.

Solution

Yes a king whos throne started shaking and cracking, barely a king but yes a king. I traded a 6700k for ryzen 1700X and if someoen would offer me a 7700K for my ryzen i would decline the offer anytime. Honestly in my opinion the 7700K its not worth it. Ryzen is capable of 144hz gaming, it has more cores which is future proof, in gaming it is a better experience overall (a more smooth gameplay), it is the best move i could make to change from 6700k to 1700X. Yes i could see yoru point of view that in some games you have 100 fps instead of 120 or in tomb raider you got 140 instead of 135, the only shit optimized game and it is generally not just for ryzen is farcry. Yes a king for less then 5-10% difference right now. I would not call that a king especially when it cannot even stream while gaming, you drop frames hard. This is juts my personal opinion right now best for gaming is 6800k, 6850k, 6900k, ryzen 1700 or 1600.

Switching out the 6700K for Ryzen right now is foolish, unless you can get all your money back for the purchase. Paying extra money for worse performance the majority of the time is not a good purchase. If you were purchasing from scratch, right now, then it is a toss up on what way to go, but to change to a high core count CPU because you are concerned that what you purchased might not remain the best in the future is not smart.

Most games still do not take advantage of more than 4 cores, so he just has to accept that no solution is perfect, but what he has is very good.