[SOLVED] 6 Cores AMD vs 4 Cores Intel

Nov 4, 2018
I'm trying to choose between the Ryzen 5 2600 and Core i3-8350k. The difference, according to UserBenchmark.com, is the i3 has a faster singular and quad core when the Ryzen 5 has a much faster multi core speed.

I don't know which is better for gaming. If there's any better CPUs in that price range, I would like to know.

Solution
The Ryzen 5 2600 is definitely the better choice by far. On ryzen you're getting more cores and SMT (AMDs Hyperthreading). In gaming the R5 2600 will be faster than the i3 8350k. In productivity workloads the Ryzen chip will crush the I3.
The 8350K has the worst value of all Intel chips in my opinion.
An I5 8400 will be faster than the r5 2600 in gaming but it's priced quite a bit higher.
The Ryzen 5 2600 is definitely the better choice by far. On ryzen you're getting more cores and SMT (AMDs Hyperthreading). In gaming the R5 2600 will be faster than the i3 8350k. In productivity workloads the Ryzen chip will crush the I3.
The 8350K has the worst value of all Intel chips in my opinion.
An I5 8400 will be faster than the r5 2600 in gaming but it's priced quite a bit higher.

Solution
I'd avoid the 8350k. That's a CPU meant for overclocking, the problem is that at this point in time it does not make a lot of sense to pay a premium for a 4 core/4 thread CPU even if you will overclock it. Instead of needing a 4 core/4 thread with a faster clockspeed, most people need more cores and/or more threads. I'd get the 2600.

Ryzen 5 2600 is the sweet spot as far as balance between price and performance. Single thread performance is still Intel's win, but not by all that much, and as already said, the extra cores and threads are handy for a balanced workload. Also, with more games going multi-threaded, the more cores/threads the better.