6 GB GTX 780 Ti

Jul 27, 2013
Hey Guys!

I, as many others are, am waiting for a 6 GB GTX 780 Ti. I know the card hasn't been out quite long enough for me to be worrying, but I'm curious, and a little nervous, is nVidia trying to reserve 6 GB of VRAM for Titan and the Titan only? Forgive me if I'm being impatient, but I constantly hear 3 GB is ENOUGH for 1440p/4k resolutions for now, so I just want a 6 GB so I don't run into a bottleneck as soon, or ever if possible, before I upgrade again...

Any news or announcements, or anything at all, is appreciated!

Solution
http://alienbabeltech.com/main/gtx-770-4gb-vs-2gb-tested/3/

It's a 770, but you get the point, and the VRAM separation here is even greater. You would only ever need 6GB cards in SLI and running 3x 4K monitors, in a scenario where a game is demanding more than 3GB of VRAM, a 780Ti by itself will not be able to run it, so you'd drop the settings and reduce VRAM usage. Even 3x 1440p is more than fine on 3GB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY3Kn1fGGTI

By the time games are using more than 3GB consistently, any setup involving 780's will be woefully inadequate.

P1nnacle

Distinguished
3 GB isn't what I would consider enough for an increase in resolution plus running on ultra or very high settings. That said, I doubt that you will see any 6GB reference cards, I've only heard of non reference cards mentioning 6Gb.

http://alienbabeltech.com/main/gtx-770-4gb-vs-2gb-tested/3/

It's a 770, but you get the point, and the VRAM separation here is even greater. You would only ever need 6GB cards in SLI and running 3x 4K monitors, in a scenario where a game is demanding more than 3GB of VRAM, a 780Ti by itself will not be able to run it, so you'd drop the settings and reduce VRAM usage. Even 3x 1440p is more than fine on 3GB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY3Kn1fGGTI

By the time games are using more than 3GB consistently, any setup involving 780's will be woefully inadequate.

Solution

P1nnacle

Distinguished

I recognize that, I was clarifying the fact that OP responded to my comment about non reference cards being the only cards with 6GB by talking about a non-reference card. As far as these cards are concerned, if there isn't a reference card, it's very rare to see very many cards change the actual hardware. The Kingpin edition is specifically designed for WR overclocking, and my money would be on it costing a hell of a lot more than a normal 780Ti.

Jul 27, 2013

Good point, but I honestly don't care, I won't be doing any OCing or fancy watercooling loops, I'll just go with whichever has the fastest factory OC. I've heard about the Kingpin, but I've also heard that it will feature only 3 GB of VRAM, too, so I don't know how much it will have...

And P1nnacle (I use Pinnacle Studio if that's what your referencing!) that's a bummer that other manufacturers don't change the hardware... Oh well I guess! I remember the I was going to get the Galaxy GTX 770 HoF but it only had 2 GB and there wasn't a 4 GB version... Two of those 4 GB would have killed!

P1nnacle

Distinguished
Yeah we'll have to find out, there was some mentioning of a 780 Ti Black edition with 6 - 12 GB of RAM. Only the future will tell. P1nnacle isn't a reference to Pinnacle Studio, it's my IGN for most games that I play.

MapRef41N93W

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

Why would you buy a 780ti and not do any OCing? All it takes is a click of a button on EVGA's precision X utility and you would be crazy to buy an OC monster like the 780 ti and not use it to it's full potential.

P1nnacle

Distinguished

Factory OC is safer, hell EVGA's SC is 10 dollars more and about 40 MHz below their FTW/ Classified Editions.

MapRef41N93W

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

Who cares if it's safer? The chances of anything happening to your card when using a tool designed by the companies is almost none as long as you don't do something stupid with it like manually set the fans to lock to a low RPM and try to blast up the clock speed. Buying a 780ti to not overclock is absolutely pointless and you may as well buy an R9 which already comes at max overclock because it will beat a 780ti that is not OCed.

P1nnacle

Distinguished

Believe it or not, there are a lot of people who don't overclock their cards, and they buy the highest powered card for that reason, they don't have to overclock. Don't attack the OP for wanting something different from what you want.

As for the R9 series, they aren't overclocked, those are stock frequencies, and when non reference cooling comes out I'm sure we will see some amazing overclocking coming from the red team as well.

MapRef41N93W

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

I guarantee you anyone who is buying a 780ti is overclocking it. You don't spend 700$ on a card that fits only a really narrow niche market (basically people who use resolutions over 1080p) to not use built in features of the card. I'm not attacking the OP I am pointing out how silly that is.

The R9 series is overclocked what are you talking about? They turned up the fan % modifier making the card louder so that it could run at a 95c overclock right out of the box to get higher stock results. The original R9-290 was much weaker out of the box than the one that AMD sent out because of this. The card will actually downclock at stock settings because of this leaving no room to overclock. A better cooling system is only going to make the card not as loud because they are designed to run at 95c.

P1nnacle

Distinguished
OP skip to the bottom for your part.

*Sigh* Sorry everyone, as a guy with a 780Ti that isn't overclocked, and I'm running at 1080p. I'm doing it all wrong. Turns out I know absolutely nothing about what I'm talking about. My technician certification and experience on this site mean absolutely nothing.

Good now that I have my sarcastic rant out of the way, mate, show me your source. I'll take anything, just give me some reason to believe your logic isn't pulled out of thin air. Leaving no room for overclocking is not the same as overclocking. The card runs at 95C and downclocks because the stock cooling system on the R9 series is absolute crap. Not because "[sic] of this leaving no room to overclock".

The Definition of overclocking: Overclocking is the process of making a computer or component operate faster than the clock frequency specified by the manufacturer by modifying system parameters.

-----------------------------

OP's part: 2 770s vs a 780 Ti would be a good match, and if you're truely worried about VRAM, the 770 4GB card would be a good choice. Whether or not you end up utilizing the RAM is another question however. Whatever you decide, don't choose the max overclock a card maker puts on the cards, EVGA's overclocks are signifigant with the SC version (100 MHz +) but less so with the FTX and Classified versions (20-40 MHz over the previous).

MapRef41N93W

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

Here you go:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7481/the-amd-radeon-r9-290-review/2

AMD bumped up the fan % so they could overclock the card out of the box.

Yes, in my personal opinion (and this is not an attack on you) I would say you threw away 700$ on a 780ti to use it at stock at 1080p, when a 780 can already crush everything at that resolution.

P1nnacle

Distinguished

They upped the fan speed because the card was unable to run at the full boostclock, not an overclock. The card's max reference speed is the boostclock's speed. The card is designed with a boostclock, which makes it fall under the manufacturer's recommended clock frequency.

I would hardly call a card capable of running my games for the next year or two a waste of money. Lower settings means the card stays relevant longer, lowering its long term cost (i.e a $500 card I own for a year cost $500 a year, a $700 card I own for two costs $350 a year). OP is looking for long term benefit.

MapRef41N93W

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

That's because what AMD is terming a boost clock on the R9 series is an overclock. The card runs at an overclock level of heat (95c) in what is termed as "uber mode". The difference is AMD made this a factory default to squeeze out more power from the card out of the box.

The 780ti is a luxury item. Most people who are buying this card are using it at high resolutions. The manner you are using it at is basically overkill, and unless you are using a 120hz monitor I could see why you aren't overclocking it.

P1nnacle

Distinguished

It is by definition not an overclock, the card is intended to run up to the full speed of the boost clock. Any clock speed added on later by a purchaser of the card would be an overclock, and it would affect the max boostclock too. If you were to overclock the baseclock of the R9 card, it would modify both the clock speed and the boostclock speed.

Boostclock or GPU Boost (nVidia's version) is a card's ability to clock higher if the card is running at a low enough temperature. It scales down as the heat increases. "Uber Mode" is a fan setting, which allows the GPU to run cooler by significantly raising the fan speed. The R9 will max its boost clock with Uber mode enabled because the card is cooler. Silent mode locks the card's fan at 47%, which keeps the card much quieter at the expense of performance.

Just because the 780Ti is a luxury item doesn't mean it needs to be overclocked. I know plenty of builders who buy the card because it's faster at stock speeds than any other card out there. Overclocking, while more prevalent than it used to be, is still a niche. The majority of consumers do not know, or necessarily want to overclock. I'm an enthusiast, and overclocking is low on my to do list. I use a 120Hz monitor, and I don't overclock it. I play BF4 on Ultra, don't feel a need to overclock it. I'm an "Overclocking Expert" and I don't overclock my card.

Put another way, out of all the people who buy Lamborghinis, how many of them do you think go out of their way to improve the engines? A luxury item is just that, luxury.