[SOLVED] 6 monitors from a laptop?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 31, 2018
Hello

I want to run 6 external monitors from a laptop. I have the monitors and am willing to buy a 2nd hand or refurbished laptop. Will this be possible for under 2000AUD?

Thanks

edit - forgot to mention, high resolution is not important. It is just for stock trading so just be running 6 different chats

Solution
MAYBE an HDMI to displayport adapter with another hub attached to that.
Seems unlikely. Those DP hubs use MST (multi stream transport) to allow a different image to be displayed on each display connected to the hub. MST is a DP-specific technology, I doubt it work with an HDMI connection to the laptop.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Can you find a laptop with enough GPU to drive that sort of resolution? Never mind the actual ports.

What is the real world application?

Why are we trying to do this anyway?

Why not just get one or two 4k Monitors. That will give you plenty of screen space to have 6 chats concurrently.

He needs the multiple screens for trading/stock market. Multiple windowed high resolution screens probably is a deal breaker as it's too small for keeping track of things easily.

Well, clearly you can't take six screens around with you easily, so I don't see why this whole thing can't be done from a desktop like TJ Hooker suggested.

BTW, you have to change that user name. I never know if I'm referring to a tv personality or a call girl named Toni Jackson.

Oct 31, 2018
Thanks guys for all the help, especially darkbreeze and TJ. I appreciate it.

I think you guys are right, this is unknown territory and I could blow my budget on something that doesn't work or probably will be annoyingly buggy. I think I will just go ahead and buy a separate desktop and laptop. It would have been nice to have everything done from the same machine but it seems there is no demand for what I want in the laptop market and thus no easy solutions.

Cheers

You can always configure a teamviewer connection to the desktop from your laptop and be able to control the monitors from the laptop in that way when it is in the same room, while retaining the benefits of the desktop for the purpose of making the entire process not only easier but also still able to be used for this purpose by yourself if the laptop is elsewhere or partners when you are gone with the laptop.