[SOLVED] 6 monitors on Asus GTX 1660 Ti OC 6gb ?

pregs7

Commendable
Aug 16, 2019
Hi everyone. Im running xplane 11 flight simulator game on an Asus gtx1660 ti oc 6GB, ryzen 7 2700x, 32gb ram.
I need to run 6 monitors. But only 5 turn on ?
I can see the 6th one when i go on display propertise. But the 6th monitor is off.

Each time i try to extend my display on the 6th , 1 of the 5 monitor turn off ( randomly)then the 6 will have display. I can never have all the 6 running at once. My gpu can take 4monitors, directly, 2 hdmi, 1 dp, 1dvi. Im using A display port hub fom startech to have 2 extra display.
Am i missing something in getting all the 6 monitors running?
Any help is welcome

Solution
I have an extra usd to hdmi adapter. I'll try it out tomrow and let you know. I think you are correct in saying that the GPU can only support 4 display. There are 4 output on it. and if i count the number of display that is going out from it, its is 4.
Looks like AMD and Nvidia have cheaped out on the number of simultaneously active video outputs. Back in the HD77xx days, mid-range GPUs supported up to six simultaneous outputs using DP MST to expand the usable output count.

Then again, with today's (super-)ultra-wide beyond-FHD 50" monitors, having enough display outputs to run a 3x2 array isn't as much of a thing as it used to be.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I didn't think you could get 5 working, so I am impressed already. How are 5 and 6 hooked up? (Likely a limit on how many clock signals the GPU can generate)

Are you using a USB monitor or something? If so those would really be completely separate and I'm not sure there is a game engine out there that can handle that.

DP Daisy chain might work, but that would require fairly expensive monitors.

What is your total resolution? There are limits. Card should stop at around 8K total.

Reactions: pregs7

pregs7

Commendable
Aug 16, 2019
Hi, 3 monitors are 32inch TV with 1980 x 1080. They are hooked up in a Display port Hub. 3 in 1. The 4th monitor is plug in 1 hdmi port, the 5th monitor is plug using a usb to hdmi from startech. The 6th monitor is plug into the gpu hdmi port. So there is 1 DVI port left to use. Basically i can hook 7monitors from what i have, but it seems the computer can only run 5monitors at a time. when i hook up the 6th, it switched off 1 of the 5 as mention

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
USB to HDMI is a virtual display adapter, it has nothing to do with the others.

Pretty sure the 1660Ti can only support 4 clock signals at a time, you are already using 4.

An active HDMI adapter might work, but probably cheaper to just get another USB adapter. (Or just get a cheap video card for more outputs)

pregs7

Commendable
Aug 16, 2019
I have an extra usd to hdmi adapter. I'll try it out tomrow and let you know. I think you are correct in saying that the GPU can only support 4 display. There are 4 output on it. and if i count the number of display that is going out from it, its is 4.

InvalidError

Titan
Looks like AMD and Nvidia have cheaped out on the number of simultaneously active video outputs. Back in the HD77xx days, mid-range GPUs supported up to six simultaneous outputs using DP MST to expand the usable output count.

Then again, with today's (super-)ultra-wide beyond-FHD 50" monitors, having enough display outputs to run a 3x2 array isn't as much of a thing as it used to be.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS