6 month old i5 Inspirion laptop just shuts off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Earl326

Prominent
Mar 21, 2017
this has only happened twice, but that's enough for me. the first time it was updating, the second time it was just sitting. I have to reseat the battery because it is completely unresponsive. I do have an HDMI out to a HDTV, but it's pretty unremarkable. the hard drive could use some free space. lots of pink floyd bootlegs out there. I called Best Buy and they said to schedule a Geek Squad call and let them diagnose it. I prefer to do more homework before I back it up.
thx for any suggestions. E326

Solution
If it's going on while it's running... is it possible that this is a heat issue?

An ex-girlfriend of mine had a laptop that did well for a while, but then would gradually be prone to shutdowns, and eventually it took less and less time from initial power on for it to happen.

It turns out that the heatsink tended to clog with dust pretty easily. We opened it up, vaccumed out the heatsink, and then the thing was like new.

A few months down the road, it started getting moody again. Once again, the heatsink was packed with dust. It must have been something odd about the airflow pattern, or the shape/density of the fins, because her previous laptop never did this, and no other machine we had ran into this problem.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If it's going on while it's running... is it possible that this is a heat issue?

An ex-girlfriend of mine had a laptop that did well for a while, but then would gradually be prone to shutdowns, and eventually it took less and less time from initial power on for it to happen.

It turns out that the heatsink tended to clog with dust pretty easily. We opened it up, vaccumed out the heatsink, and then the thing was like new.

A few months down the road, it started getting moody again. Once again, the heatsink was packed with dust. It must have been something odd about the airflow pattern, or the shape/density of the fins, because her previous laptop never did this, and no other machine we had ran into this problem.

Solution

opening up a 6 month old laptop is a good way to void the warranty

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
True enough. In our case, it wasn't in warranty, despite not being that old - as it had been a replacement for another laptop that had a hardware failure, but was still in the very tail end of the warranty period.

I guess even on modern laptops, there's no good way to access the heatsinks/ducts effectively without voiding the warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.