Question 6 out of my 9 USB ports stopped working and now drives aren't loading in windows

Nov 29, 2020
Right guys, I'm not a tech wizard so I apologise if the explanation if this is really simple.

Today I installed a new M.2 SSD, migrated my OS to it and all seemed fine - Don't think this caused the problem

I then reinstalled Corsair ICue after Id had issues with it last year to see if it was fixed. To install I needed to start my PC which I did. When I booted I had no input on the keyboard or mouse. I moved them to another USB slot on the back of my motherboard and they seemed to work. All of my others don't though. I have an External HDD which when plugged in seems to get power for around 5-10 seconds and then shuts down. Seems like power is coming out as I could charge my phone but I can't transfer data in. I spend about 4 hours deleting drivers and following guides to solve the issue. None of this worked so I went to repair my windows. After I did this, only my boot drive appears out of my 4 internal drives. I've since switched them across several of the SATA ports on my motherboard. All devices are appearing in my bios. Just tried to boot Acronis this morning from a flash drive and it worked. All hard drives appeared in Acronis too with the correct storage. Seems like it is more of a driver issue. Debating reinstalling windows but if anyone knows anything else I could do I would appreciate it
Again I'm not really that techy so if you can help, please explain in simple terms
Thanks, folks

Specs:
Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomohawk
CPU - Ryzen 5 1600
GPU - Nvidia 1050ti
Power Supply - Corsair CX600 (600W)
M.2 SSD - Kingston A2000
SSD - Samsung 850 pro
HDD - 2TB + 1TB Seagate

Looked in Reliability history and nothing dates back before I 'repaired' my windows

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Check all connectors - you may have bumped something loose while installing the M.2

Look in Reliability History - do you see any errors related to USB or USB peripherals?

Especially any error or errors that began after you installed the new M.2?

Nov 29, 2020
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.

Check all connectors - you may have bumped something loose while installing the M.2

Look in Reliability History - do you see any errors related to USB or USB peripherals?

Especially any error or errors that began after you installed the new M.2?
Done