6 pin IEEE1394 case connect to 9 pin mobo connect?

jugghead23

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003
Hi all, long time user of Tom's Hardware, first time poster.

I recently purchased the Asus P4P800 deluxe mobo with a Chieftec Server Chasis with the front panel USB2.0 and IEEE1394 ports.

The board's connector has 9 pins and is set up like this:

Top Row: TPA0-, GND, TPB0-, +12v, GND
2nd Row: TPA0+, GND, TPB0+, +12v, <no pin>

The case's firewire connector has only 6 pins that read:

VP, VG, TPB-, TPB+, TPA-, TPA+

Can someone please help me with this connection? It seems apparent that the twisted pair connections match up but I'm not sure which +12v to connect VP nor which ground to connect VG

As I understand (could be wrong) the difference in the connections is due to differences in IEEE1394 standards but that the board should still be backwards compatible with the cases older connection?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Geoff

jugghead23

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003
thanks for telling me what to do, but can someone tell me why this works or why the case and motherboard have a different amount of connectors?

-Geoff

jugghead23

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003
just wanted to bump this post to the top. Still looking for some clarification if anyone has any.

Thanks again!

-Geoff

jugghead23

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2003
I just got this email from someone who works at Chieftec and he makes it seem that the firewire port at the front of the case cannot be hooked up to an Asus mobo (reason I'm still talking about this and have not tried yet is because I'm still waiting for my CPU to arrive)

Hi Geoff,

How do you do?
It's nice to hearing from you and thank you very much for your support.

For the first connector you mentioned is USB you shall not have any problem in it.

For the firewire it is an issue, as we follow Intel spec. to produce firewire, but Asus produce another type. If you want to use firewire you shall connect PCI slot daughter board. As usually in chassis firewire connector are like the pin we had if mother board only offer 6 pin then the only way is connect to slot.

If you have any question please feel free to contact us and thank you very much for your support.

Best regards,

Brian Hu