[SOLVED] 6 pin on RX 580

May 7, 2020
The Sapphire Nitro RX 580 needs an 8 pin and 6 pin I have both but my 8 pin is 4+4 pin and the 4 pin is what I use for my CPU. That leaves me with a 6 pin and a 4 pin. I have a 650W PSU Golden Field S728. Could I just use the 6 pin or do I have to buy a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter?

Solution
That PSU is garbage. It's not 650w by any means. It delivers 380w at best in the 12v rails which is what matters in modern PCs and it should have been labeled as 380w in today's standards.

The 4+4 from the PSU is meant for your CPU only. It's not meant to be put in the GPU and from what you said it appears that it only has a 6pin. You absolutely need to have every connector plugged in the GPU and adapters are an awful idea. They are fire hazards and can destroy other components. They are generally not acceptable.
That PSU was never meant to power such a GPU that's why it doesn't have the proper connectors. You need to buy a new proper PSU with all the appropriate connections.
From the following list pick anything that is tier B and...
That PSU is garbage. It's not 650w by any means. It delivers 380w at best in the 12v rails which is what matters in modern PCs and it should have been labeled as 380w in today's standards.

The 4+4 from the PSU is meant for your CPU only. It's not meant to be put in the GPU and from what you said it appears that it only has a 6pin. You absolutely need to have every connector plugged in the GPU and adapters are an awful idea. They are fire hazards and can destroy other components. They are generally not acceptable.
That PSU was never meant to power such a GPU that's why it doesn't have the proper connectors. You need to buy a new proper PSU with all the appropriate connections.
From the following list pick anything that is tier B and above or if you are under a very strict budget tier C but nothing lower than that.
Tier list

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, that's a frightening low quality PSU. This PC should never be turned on with this GPU/PSU combination. Or really, without the PSU in any situation, but definitely not with the GPU.

Well, unless you're going camping and you want an easy way to start a campfire.