[SOLVED] 6 pin pcie power supply to 8 pin and 6 pin video card.

Mar 23, 2019
My 850 Watt power supply has 6 pin pie connectors only. My AMD R9 3900 has female 6 pin and an 8 pin connector. Will cable at the URL below work ?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/60cm-18AWG...ension-Cable-GPU/143463400713?redirect=mobile

When going from 6 pin from power supply to 8 pin on video card worries me that won't work no matter what, because 6 pin under powered for r9 390!

Should I try plugging in two six pins to the power supply and the 8 pin to the video card. Then plug one power supply 6 pin to six pin on the video card. That would be 3 connections to powersuply and two to video card? My powersuply has only one 8 pin connector for the 12v motherboard connector.

Last edited:
Solution
No. Do NOT use 6 pin adapters. If your PSU was capable of supporting an 8 pin connection, it would have come with an 8 pin or a 6+2 pin connector.

What is the EXACT model of your power supply?

The 8 pin, which is a 4+4 pin EPS connector, cannot be used for PCI graphics cards auxiliary connections. That connector MUST be used for the 8 pin EPS connection to the motherboard.

PCI connectors will not be split connectors if they are 8 pin unless they are 6+2 pin. If they are 4+4 then they are not meant for use with graphics cards.
No. Do NOT use 6 pin adapters. If your PSU was capable of supporting an 8 pin connection, it would have come with an 8 pin or a 6+2 pin connector.

What is the EXACT model of your power supply?

The 8 pin, which is a 4+4 pin EPS connector, cannot be used for PCI graphics cards auxiliary connections. That connector MUST be used for the 8 pin EPS connection to the motherboard.

PCI connectors will not be split connectors if they are 8 pin unless they are 6+2 pin. If they are 4+4 then they are not meant for use with graphics cards.

Reactions: darknightbacca1
Solution
Mar 23, 2019
I don't want to buy a new PSU, I rather get a different video card for this old PC with FX 8350. I can use the R9 390 elsewhere. I get a used video card with 1 or 2, 6 pin connectors. I'm looking at a used EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB

Power suply is old ultra 850W. It dosent exact modle on it, but the only 8 pin conector is 12v for CPU. The system dose work OK now.

Thanks

The R9 390 is a newer card than the GTX 970 by almost a year.

Ultra, which is Tigerdirect's old house brand, is one of the worst possible power supply brands you could end up with. Doesn't even matter what model you get from Ultra, they are all poor quality.

Mar 23, 2019
OK but ULTRA has been working for 5 years. There are some EVGA used PSU on ebay with 8 pin. This old computer is my Windoz 10 fix, when I need it. It has a low power Radion GPU in it currently. Was going to upgrade it with somthing. From all the advice a PSU is also in order . Then the R9 3900 I have laying around will work.

I have a new Ryzen 2700x 1660 TI, X590 32G Ram, PCIe 4 M.2 1TB -- based Computer runing Arch Linux for my daily driver. It's all very new. It has a Gold + EVGA PSU.

Thanks

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There are some things in life where name doesn't really matter, store brand is just as good as name brand. But there are some items that you really do not skip. Chocolate, cream cheese, cookies, potato chips, psus.

Yes, the junk often works. Yes, you are using an 850w (claimed) psu on a pc that's closer to 250w. It's going to work. Probably for years. That doesn't mean it will work well or right or as it should. 4x 6pin pcie is 300w on 12v rail. Where's the other 550w? In the cpu?

DSzymborski

Titan
OK but ULTRA has been working for 5 years. There are some EVGA used PSU on ebay with 8 pin. This old computer is my Windoz 10 fix, when I need it. It has a low power Radion GPU in it currently. Was going to upgrade it with somthing. From all the advice a PSU is also in order . Then the R9 3900 I have laying around will work.

I have a new Ryzen 2700x 1660 TI, X590 32G Ram, PCIe 4 M.2 1TB -- based Computer runing Arch Linux for my daily driver. It's all very new. It has a Gold + EVGA PSU.

Thanks

I think I'd buy used toilet paper before a used power supply. This is safety equipment.

You need a new PSU. I think that Ultra actually predates 80 Plus. God, that's old enough to be a Topower, but JG would know for sure, I bet.

Similarly, I would rather have not paid to have the raccoon that broke into my attic trapped, new rain gutters and about 10 foot long section on the side of my roof repaired, and raccoon crap cleaned out of my attic. But I did pay for that because sometimes, you just need to do the stuff that needs to be done.

ProgamerIV

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

Thanks

Dude I was like you before, right until my first PSU blew up. It was not nice. It also brought the whole system with it. Since then, it's quality PSU only for me.
Make yourself and that old build of yours safer by getting a new one. You could get something way lower in power, 400-450 watts would work for that PC as long as it's a quality power supply.

And forget all of these "magic" power adapters. I wouldn't even let manufacturers make them.

darknightbacca1

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
My 850 Watt power supply has 6 pin pie connectors only. My AMD R9 3900 has female 6 pin and an 8 pin connector. Will cable at the URL below work ?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/60cm-18AWG...ension-Cable-GPU/143463400713?redirect=mobile

When going from 6 pin from power supply to 8 pin on video card worries me that won't work no matter what, because 6 pin under powered for r9 390!

Should I try plugging in two six pins to the power supply and the 8 pin to the video card. Then plug one power supply 6 pin to six pin on the video card. That would be 3 connections to powersuply and two to video card? My powersuply has only one 8 pin connector for the 12v motherboard connector.

As said above, PSU will come with 6 + 2 pin connector if supported for your gpu, don't use 6 pin connectors on a 8 pin card, ever.