Question 6 pin RGB Controller with 3 pin DRGB fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

curry36

Prominent
Jun 18, 2020
I bought this adjustable RGB controller which has 6 pin connectors and want to use it with 3 pin D-RGB fans. Will it be possible? A friend told me that I should be able to just plug the 3 pin fans on the 6 pin connectors but I'm not sure if this would work? Just wanted to make that sure before I buy the fans (actually it's the Halos fan frames).

The controller from this video:
View: https://youtu.be/5AMh62_rekk?t=63

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Your chances of success are poor without more info.

The Controller you bought uses outputs ports with 6 pins. None of the two common types of RGB lighting systems uses that. At best, IF you can figure out what each of those six pins does, you might be able to custom-modify the connections to it. The video shows displays that are done using the ARGB system.

Next, you say you plan to use it with D-RGB fans, and then correct that to say they have Halos fan frames mounted on them. Well, the standard Halos frames are of the FOUR-pin plain RGB type, not the 3-pin ARGB type. Further, Halos frames from Phanteks use their non-standard connectors with 4 pins, but MAYBE the include an adapter to connect them with a common mobo 4-pin plain RGB header. Still, if you really have those Halos frames with 4-pin connections, there is no way to power and control them from an ARGB controller, no matter what its connector ports look like.

curry36

Prominent
Jun 18, 2020
Your chances of success are poor without more info.

The Controller you bought uses outputs ports with 6 pins. None of the two common types of RGB lighting systems uses that. At best, IF you can figure out what each of those six pins does, you might be able to custom-modify the connections to it. The video shows displays that are done using the ARGB system.

Next, you say you plan to use it with D-RGB fans, and then correct that to say they have Halos fan frames mounted on them. Well, the standard Halos frames are of the FOUR-pin plain RGB type, not the 3-pin ARGB type. Further, Halos frames from Phanteks use their non-standard connectors with 4 pins, but MAYBE the include an adapter to connect them with a common mobo 4-pin plain RGB header. Still, if you really have those Halos frames with 4-pin connections, there is no way to power and control them from an ARGB controller, no matter what its connector ports look like.

Thanks a lot for taking your time and explain me these things. The fans I am looking at are the Halos Digital with D-RGB and 3 pins.

http://www.phanteks.com/HalosDigital.html

The actual fans are non RGB, that's why I want to buy the Halos frames. So the question is if I can manage to find out which of those 6 pins are the ones I need. I'm afraid there is nothing like an adapter for these rather unusual combination?

Last edited:

curry36

Prominent
Jun 18, 2020
Edit: As they didn't provide any manual, the best thing I could find is this blog entry, where the author builds a custom controller to use the 6-pin fans provided by the same company that made my controller with his motherboard.

https://blog.ja-ke.tech/2019/06/11/re-coolmoon-rgb-controller.html

He came to this conclusion:
pinout.jpg

So if I only need LED: +5V, LED: Data in and LED: GND, which are in a row, could it actually work without any adapters or soldering?

Phanteks Digital Halos cable below:

1786190-n7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.