[SOLVED] 6 PIN TO 8 PIN ADAPTER !!! PLEASE HELP

Harbintatamata

Prominent
Jun 20, 2020
Hello, i need some help here, i wish someone could give me a little hand i would really appreciate it.... Im looking further to purchase a gtx 1660, but the gpu has a 8pin adapter, and my 500wat powersupply has only 6pin adapter. Now i have a little cable here that connects the 6pin to 8pin, https://www.amazon.com/JacobsParts-6-pin-8-pin-Express-Converter/dp/B00JLTCMFC , will i be able to use this cable to connect my psu with gpu without an issue because when i spoke to my computer mechanic he said that it will work just fine, not perfectly, but you wont have any problems, feel free to use it. Now you guys what do you think?

Solution
Unless you want to put the rest of your computer system at risk, you need to budget more for your power supply. Going with a cheap, unknown quality unit may fry your graphics card or your motherboard and anything that's connected to it (CPU/RAM), Yes, a quality power supply cost more, but would you rather pay €100 for a good unit now that will service you for years to come or €40 now and €800 for a new computer system when the cheap power supply dies spectacularly?

On the lower cost end of units I'd recommend is this:
PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Antec TruePower Classic 650 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (£89.08 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £89.08
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when...
Hello, i need some help here, i wish someone could give me a little hand i would really appreciate it.... Im looking further to purchase a gtx 1660, but the gpu has a 8pin adapter, and my 500wat powersupply has only 6pin adapter. Now i have a little cable here that connects the 6pin to 8pin, https://www.amazon.com/JacobsParts-6-pin-8-pin-Express-Converter/dp/B00JLTCMFC , will i be able to use this cable to connect my psu with gpu without an issue because when i spoke to my computer mechanic he said that it will work just fine, not perfectly, but you wont have any problems, feel free to use it. Now you guys what do you think?
Each pin carries power. 6 pins doesn’t deliver the same power as 8. It’s not recommended to use a power supply that doesn’t come with the correct connections for a GPU. If this “500w” power supply lacks an 8 pin connection then I doubt it’s really powering 500 watts, a bit old or both. This further leads me to believe that it should be replaced if you plan to use a new GPU with it.

my 500wat powersupply has only 6pin adapter.
What exactly make/model PSU? Can you show photo of PSU label?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

If your PSU is low quality and incapable of supporting hardware, you're going to connect to it,
this may end up very badly for you. PSU blows up, killing every component in your pc. In worst case scenario it may even catch fire.

Harbintatamata

Prominent
Jun 20, 2020
What exactly make/model PSU? Can you show photo of PSU label?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

If your PSU is low quality and incapable of supporting hardware, you're going to connect to it,
this may end up very badly for you. PSU blows up, killing every component in your pc. In worst case scenario it may even catch fire.
Yeah, i completly understand you, my computer mechanic said that too, soo for me its better to upgrade the psu too. I saw a 750w 6+2pin on ebay. Im going to send you the link, take a look at it and tell me if thats good to go.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Artic-750W...b51f:g:GboAAOSwnh5cDtHf&LH_ItemCondition=1000

Harbintatamata

Prominent
Jun 20, 2020
Each pin carries power. 6 pins doesn’t deliver the same power as 8. It’s not recommended to use a power supply that doesn’t come with the correct connections for a GPU. If this “500w” power supply lacks an 8 pin connection then I doubt it’s really powering 500 watts, a bit old or both. This further leads me to believe that it should be replaced if you plan to use a new GPU with it.
Okay i suggest that i should upgrade my psu too, im going to send you a link of the psu that i saw. Is this good to go? It has 6+2 pin too. That would work perfectly in my gpu, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Artic-750W...b51f:g:GboAAOSwnh5cDtHf&LH_ItemCondition=1000

Harbintatamata

Prominent
Jun 20, 2020
Im looking further to purchase a gtx 1660 but with my old 500wat psu thats not required because it has only a 6pin and everyone recommended to upgrade it. I scrolled down on ebay and i saw this one, 750wat 6+2, i assume that will work perfectly? I need a little hand here, i would really appreciate it. The PSU that im looking to purchase ---> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Artic-750W...b51f:g:GboAAOSwnh5cDtHf&LH_ItemCondition=1000

Wolfshadw

Titan
Unless you want to put the rest of your computer system at risk, you need to budget more for your power supply. Going with a cheap, unknown quality unit may fry your graphics card or your motherboard and anything that's connected to it (CPU/RAM), Yes, a quality power supply cost more, but would you rather pay €100 for a good unit now that will service you for years to come or €40 now and €800 for a new computer system when the cheap power supply dies spectacularly?

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Antec TruePower Classic 650 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (£89.08 @ Amazon UK)
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-17 15:07 BST+0100

It will certainly provide enough power for your graphic card needs.

-Wolf sends

Solution

Harbintatamata

Prominent
Jun 20, 2020

PCPartPicker Part List

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-17 15:07 BST+0100

It will certainly provide enough power for your graphic card needs.

-Wolf sends
Can you find me a good powersupply that is compatible with my gtx1660 (8pin) from ebay please? Can you do that? Because there are a lot of powersupplies there. One at least -100$....