6 pin to 8 pin?

LavyDunois

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
I have been asking around to check if my PSU can handle 2-way SLI GTX780's.
But a 6 pin and 8 pin are required to run my 1 GTX780. The PSU only has 2 * 8 pins which are both in use. 1 by the GPU and 1 bij de processor.
I have read that two 6 pins make up for an 8 pin?

Everything runs stock at the moment.
- i7 4930K (Corsair h110 liquid cooler)
- MSI x79a gd45 plus (mobo)
- Corsair Vengeance (2x8gb) 1600mhz CL10 (RAM)
- Samsung 840 SSD 250gb
- Seagate Barracuda 2tb 7200rpm
- 1 * ASUS GTX780 direct cu ii oc
- Coolermaster v850 Vanguard Series (850w PSU)
http://www.coolermaster.com/powersupply/v-series-psu/v850/

Solution
The power supply you linked to has 6x PCI-E "6+2 pin." This means that each of the six PCI-e power connectors can be attached to either a 6-pin socket or a 8-pin socket, supplying 75W and 150W respectively.

It's a modular PSU. Do you have unused cables lying around? You should be able to supply power to that card no problem, if that is indeed the correct power supply. Just add the modular cables.

Edit: And I think that the CPU "4+4" pin is different from the PCI-e 8-pin, but I could be wrong about that. I am wrong frequently.

LavyDunois

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
Well it's more like the PSU only has two 8 pins which are both allready in use. One 8 pin is use by the CPU and the other 8 pin is used by the GPU, which leaves no 8 pin slots left on my PSU. However i still have 3/4 6pin slots open on the PSU.

Don't know if u meant that my PSU allready has a double 6 pin to 8pin connector for the GPU?

Yes you can have two 6 pin connectors to make up one 8 pin, but you will need an adapter cable to do so. Some video cards come with them in the box, if not then you will need to purchase an adapter like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PCI-E-8-PIN-TO-PCI-E-6-PIN-Y-SPLITTER-POWER-CABLE-6-MADE-IN-AMERICA-/251342990721#ht_2989wt_947 This was the only one I could find in stock, lol. In order to supply full power you will need one of these. DO NOT get a single 6 pin to 8 pin connector. Your 780 may not recieve full power since a 6 pin connector only supplies 75w. 2 x 6 pin will give you up to 150w on your 8 pin. Hope this helps. :)

EDIT: I just looked at the link for your PSU as well. You should have more than enough connectors for that card. Maybe still in the box, or did you buy the PSU from someone as is? If so give them a call to see if they still have them. Either way you may still need the adapter I first linked.

The power supply you linked to has 6x PCI-E "6+2 pin." This means that each of the six PCI-e power connectors can be attached to either a 6-pin socket or a 8-pin socket, supplying 75W and 150W respectively.

It's a modular PSU. Do you have unused cables lying around? You should be able to supply power to that card no problem, if that is indeed the correct power supply. Just add the modular cables.

Edit: And I think that the CPU "4+4" pin is different from the PCI-e 8-pin, but I could be wrong about that. I am wrong frequently.

Solution

LavyDunois

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014

Yeah i have the cables so how would i need to set it up?
The 6pin to 8pin will supply 150w?
So 6pin to 8pin and 6pin to 6pin would power the GPU?

If by "6pin to 8pin" you mean one of the 8-pin connectors that's split into 6 and 2, used as a block of 8, yes it will. That's really an 8-pin connector that's been physically modified so that you can use it in a 6-pin socket. It's compatible with either.