6 pin to 8 pin

andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Hi all, I have ordered a Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury to replace my 2 7950`s. At the time of ordering, I didn't realize that the R9 has 2x 8 pin connections. My PSU is 1000watt OCZ but only has 4x 6 pin connections. Would a 6 to 8 pin converter cable be ok to use or do I have to buy a new PSU?. My PSU is a few years old now but I every month or so i blow the dust out, so there has never been any build up of dust so to speak. It seems to be still working fine, so if I don't have to, I don't really want to replace it.

Kind regards.

Solution
OCZ1000PXS is made by FSP and was released in 2007 , it's almost 10 years old , I would move on to a newer release , that has the proper connections to run your new setup....It's outdated.

andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Hi all, sorry to ask again but is there anyone who can help me with this. I have read similar questions with varying answers depending on quality of the PSU. Mine is a good one, its not missed a beat in around 4yrs.

Many thanks.

andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Ok, not the answer I was after lol as its not missed a beat but i will buy a new PSU as I don't want to run the risk of damaging my new GPU for the sake of £100. Thanks for getting back to me, cheers.

andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Hi, I had given the best solution but looking for a new PSU is a littler harder than I imagined as I have not had to upgrade my PSU for a number of years. Now the GPU I am getting requires two 8 pin connectors, I can only find PSU`s with either 1x 8 pin and 6+2 connectors or just 6+2 connections. I am guessing that this is a complete noob question but would the GPU be getting the power it needs with the split connectors. I take it that the 6+2 works as a full 8 pin connection. If most new mid to high end GPU`s require 2 x 8 pin connectors then why cant I find a PSU with two?

Many thanks.

PS The only reason that I un picked Blackbird as best solution is so that ppl will hopefully read my question, if they could see 'Solved' they might not read.

andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Many thanks Luminary for the quick reply, I wished I had asked sooner as i have spent about 2 hours looking and asking my self the if, buts and maybe lol. I have to give the best solution back to blackbird tho, sorry as he did answer my original question but many thanks for your input, I really do appreciate it.

Cheers