[SOLVED] 6 pin tp 8 pin safe?

Aug 24, 2019
Hello, i recently ordered an msi gtx 1060 6g armor . It came and i discovered that it has an 8 pin connector while my psu only has a 6pin. I'm not planning to buy a new psu so i'm thinking of buying a 6 to 8 pin adapter. Will it be safe? I have a Recom PSU that is 450 watts and i'm not going to do any overclocking. Thanks in advance!

Solution
I would plan on buying a new PSU.
When you use an adapter like this you are putting more current through 6 conductors than is ideal.
This causes greater voltage drop and lower voltage at the card which can cause crashes.
In addition....the power supply isn't designed to use an 8 pin because if it was...it would have one....so you also risk power supply issues.
I would plan on buying a new PSU.
When you use an adapter like this you are putting more current through 6 conductors than is ideal.
This causes greater voltage drop and lower voltage at the card which can cause crashes.
In addition....the power supply isn't designed to use an 8 pin because if it was...it would have one....so you also risk power supply issues.

Solution
No, you shouldnt use a 6 to 8 pin adapter.
The only time an adapter is safe is a dual 6 pin to 8 pin adapter, on a quality PSU, capable delivering the required amps safely.
Your setup meets none of those requirements, so its time for a new PSU, or a GPU that dosent need an 8 pin (though, id still replace the PSU).

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
a 6-pin is designed to give 75w of power. an 8-pin will provide 150w of power.

what happens when the gpu asks for 150w and it can only pull 75w? yup, it shuts down and won't work. or worse, your unprepared psu let's it pull that power and the over-current starts a nice fireball inside the case. neither case is a good one and is not worth even risking it.

you need a new psu, or you need a different gpu. this is your only options.