Question 6 to 8 pin adapter

Apr 1, 2019
I have just got this new graphics card but it need a 8 pin pcie cable my psu only have a 6 pin there's a adapter in the box 6+6 to 8 pin do I need to put two 6 pin in the adapter or does work like a 6 to 8 pin adapter

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If you must use an adapter (not a great idea), then yes, you should be using 2x6pins.

A single 8 pin is rated for 150W, a 6 pin only rated for 75W.
So if your card needs an 8, and you only provide a 6.... It's either not work (in this case, a good thing!) or it'll attempt to pull 150W from a cable rated for 75W. Not a good idea.

If your PSU does not have the appropriate cables for a GPU you intend to use, that's a good sign you need a new PSU.

What GPU do you have?
What PSU do you have?

DSzymborski

Titan
GPU GTX 1070 mini
Psu energon EPS 650w

Ouch. You're definitely well into the garbage-tier of power supplies here. The only 1070 this power supply should ever be connected to is a pile of 1070 other items waiting for processing at a recycling center.

The Corsair CX 550 is the least expensive PSU that I'd be willing to let touch a GTX 1070. Ideally, that's the level of power supply at which I'd prefer to go higher quality, like SeaSonic Focus or EVGA G2/G3/GS or Corsair RMx, but the CX 550 is at least a power supply worthy of the name.

Reactions: Barty1884

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
GPU GTX 1070 mini
Psu energon EPS 650w

I have just found out I also have a 2 pin cable can I combine 6+2 pin cable

Well, yes... the 6+2 pin is how you form an 8pin in most instances.

However, I totally agree with DSzymborksi - that's a horrible PSU - At least it doesn't try to hide what it is too much.
For customers who needs high wattage but don’t want to spend that much money on a power supply
https://www.inter-tech.de/en/products/psu/atx/eps-650

Depending on the CPU you have, a CX450M would probably be the cheapest unit I would recommend - but depends where you're located.

S12II's from SeaSonic have greater worldwide availability.... They're older, but still good quality. I would assume the new S12III's should have similar availability.

Where are you located? And what kind of budget do you have for a PSU?