[SOLVED] 6 to 8-pin adapter

Oct 20, 2020
Hi guys,

I currently have a 600W PSU which only has a 6-pin gpu cable. At the moment it's fine as it's only powering an old GTX 660.

I'm looking to upgrade to a Gigabyte GTX 1660 Super (3 fan edition) which is 8-pin.
I'm just wondering if using a 6 to 8-pin adapter will be ok? The reviews on Amazon for these adapters seem to be very promising.

I'm also running a Ryzen 5 1600 AF and 16GB RAM if it helps.

Thanks!

Solution
It's an Atrix Expert 600w PSU - it claims to be 6+2, pin but I can assure you it's only 6 pin. It's an inherited PC so I'm dealing with a few odd parts!
No.
Don't do this.

Balefire

Reputable
Oct 18, 2020
It should be fine.

most often the adapters are included with the gpu, so the manufactures are basically saying that they can handle it.

also 600w is more than enough to power your system... if i had to take a guess you'd probably only need about 450 - 500 watts, which means that you wont be running the risk of burning out anything

Oct 20, 2020
It's an Atrix Expert 600w PSU - it claims to be 6+2, pin but I can assure you it's only 6 pin. It's an inherited PC so I'm dealing with a few odd parts!

USAFRet

Titan
No.
Don't do this.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
The Atrix doesn't even appear here:

Oct 20, 2020
Thanks, that's really helpful.

It seems I should definitely look at getting a proper PSU.

Do you think the Corsair CV650 would work well for this? I don't really need anything particularly fancy I guess