6-Way 2-Bay NAS Round Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting point. As for resellers I can tell you Synology is hard to recommend because they offer very little margin to the reseller. To make anything on a Synology product you have to be a partner to get the backend rebates. Otherwise it is very hard to make any profit selling Synology.

Neat-O man

Reputable
Sep 28, 2015
I would have loved to see how data rot, rebuild speed (full downtime, if any), where handled on the NAS's. As for the most part speed isn't much of a concern for me personally, as long as its "fast enough" which all of these are. I'm much more concerned about data rot and ease of maintenance.

Cerunnos

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
Is the 216+ running btrfs?

@boredsysadmin
None of these cheap NAS boxes will have 24/7 support. Established enterprise NAS units also require costly support plans to have that kind of on-call support. Synology's RS units run at only a fraction of the cost of others. Therefore, yes, you get what you pay for.

JonDol

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
Hi there. A decade ago there was a difference in reliability of the mechanical drives when placed vertically versus those placed horizontally. For this reason I've bought a NAS with horizontal drive bays and had to jump directly to 4 drives. Is the reliability of drives placed vertically still a concern today?

Thanks

JBForum

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015
@CERUNNOS Yes, and I don't think any of the others offer a bit rot preventing system.... which was not mentioned in the article.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
I use Seagate NAS 4TB HDDs in NAS reviews with 7 or less drive bays. The 4 to 7 bay systems run in RAID 5. The 8+ bay systems get NAS Pro 6TB drives and RAID 6.

The Asustor system uses a Braswell-based processor.

Xajel

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
Now, lets wait for a consumer grade 4 bay roundup... and please consider detailing backup features ( real backup, not just mirroring ), media features like transcoding or even Plex server or KUDI for those who have interest in these two guys, and maybe if there's some time.. add VM abilities also ( which I think will apply only to x86 based NAS's )

Vlad Bieg

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
Pity the reviewer is not aware of advantages of BTRFS file system, and thus ignored NETGEAR's ReadyNAS models. Unlimited snapshots, silent data corruption protection... any of the reviewed models offer that?

tecnicomp

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
At this price point Qnap's TS-251 is a no brainier and it's out of your list, also Netgear's Readynas 31200 with 2gb and dual core atom it's interesting to say the less

lensin

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016
Asustor AS3102T dropped price quite a lot. Have you noticed it? It is quite a bargain on top that it got Editor's Choice in Tom's.

lensin

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016
have a look at AS6102T as well. The price is dropped as well. Time to pick up one of these 2 models.

Status
Not open for further replies.