60/64 GB SSD Shootout: Crucial, Samsung, And SandForce

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Wow. Absolutely wonderful article. I did second guess my decision on SSD for my next build for a few. But honestly I'm just using it as a boot drive.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]kixofmyg0t[/nom]Wow. Absolutely wonderful article. I did second guess my decision on SSD for my next build for a few. But honestly I'm just using it as a boot drive.[/citation]

Glad to hear that!

Cheers,
Andrew Ku
TomsHardware.com

rossi004

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Ok, so I have the whole SSD for boot, HDD for storage and less intensive programs, but I have a practicality question:

Is there a way to have files and programs automatically downloaded, installed, and run from the HDD without doing it manually every time if I have the SSD as the base drive?

james_1978

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
[citation][nom]rossi004[/nom]Ok, so I have the whole SSD for boot, HDD for storage and less intensive programs, but I have a practicality question:Is there a way to have files and programs automatically downloaded, installed, and run from the HDD without doing it manually every time if I have the SSD as the base drive?[/citation]

You can move your personal folders to your HDD (my documents, my music, downloads, ...), so downloads will end up there automaticaly, but programs will go to your C drive (SSD) by default.

james_1978

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
[citation][nom]james_1978[/nom]You can move your personal folders to your HDD (my documents, my music, downloads, ...), so downloads will end up there automaticaly, but programs will go to your C drive (SSD) by default.[/citation]
Ok, sorry, but actually you can move your program files by editing the registry:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/6643-63-windows-boot-drive-user-files-program-files-normal
Moving only user files is far easier nevertheless, just using "move" in the folder properties...

exban224

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Are the tests on the m4 with the new firmware, if not then is you update the firmware the m4 is overall better. 120gb sandforce speeds anyone in a 64gb package.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Hey great in-depth article Andrew, really liked it!

BTW: Intel lists different IOPS for its drives. They say, for example, that:
Random Write (8GB Span)=21000 IOPS
Random Write (100% Span)=600 IOPS

Reads seem to be unaffected. What's this about?

p.s. The graphs in any article (in general) aren't readable using the iOS app :( have to open it in safari then use the reader...and some comments aren't displayed entirely...i'm using an ipod touch, maybe it works fine on a tablet? :O Just thought i'd let someone know, didn't who develops the app...

Dacatak

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
What kind of flash does Super Talent use in their 64GB SATA III drives? They are hardly any slower than the higher capacity drives, which shows lower capacity doesn't always have to mean lower speed.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/08/07/nand_flash_faces_off_synchronous_vs_asynchronous/1

Something that isn't even mentioned in the article is how full these drives were when benched. A fresh installed SSD with most of its capacity available will perform wonderfully. In real world scenarios where the drive is at 50% capacity however, the asynchronous drives performance falls off the map while the synchronous drives continue to perform well.

Another issue that really could have been tackled here is RAID0 and performance per dollar of the 60/64GB drives vs their 128/256GB counterparts. I know there is a RAID0 scaling article already out there it would have been nice to see that incorporated here.

Looking strictly at these benches it would seem as though a 256 m4 is the automatic choice. Maybe straight out of the box, not taking RAID0 into consideration that's the case. Once the drives start filling and considering the near 100% scaling of RAID I think you'd come to a different conclusion.

peevee

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
So, it is pretty clear that at the current flash density 64GB is both too slow (even slower than an old-tech HDD in some cases!) and too inconvenient (fits almost nothing you want to be faster).
If you cannot afford at least 120GB, just wait and save money, with money saving and prices falling soon you will be able to buy it and enjoy your speed with almost everything except videos and backups/archives (for which HDDs are absolutely adequate).
Or 240GB better yet.

BlackHawk91

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
*&^*&, should have bought it back on Black Friday when it was $100 bundled with Batman: Arkham City, but didn't had the money at the time.

Thanks Andrew.

I'm getting a Samsung ... this looks to good to miss as a new boot drive, and I'll keep my Momentus XT for storage.

I'm thinking of 2 of the Seagates in RAID0.

Does that seem good value for the money ?

cheers.

:)

compton

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
However, SandForce SSDs armed with Toggle-mode memory aren't available at the 60 GB capacity point.

That is some weaksauce nonsense. Mushkin does make a 60GB Chronos Deluxe (SF2281 + Toggle NAND). It's pretty much the fastest 60GB drive, though it does give up about 10MBs max sequential writes over the 830 64GB -- but they do scale much better at higher QD than the Samsung. Given the price spread between the 64GB Chronos DX ($139) and the 120GB variant ($209), it doesn't make much financial sense to get the 64GB, but if you want the fastest 64GB drive around, that's it. It's almost as fast as the 120GB Vertex 3.

The Samsung 830 is fine in it's own right, but mine is trapped in some kind of lower performance state which no SE or "performance optimization" can restore. I think it's some kind of FW bug -- Attribute 177 (Wear Leveling Count/PE cycles) doesn't update while the drive is powered on either.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]compton[/nom]That is some weaksauce nonsense. Mushkin does make a 60GB Chronos Deluxe (SF2281 + Toggle NAND). It's pretty much the fastest 60GB drive, though it does give up about 10MBs max sequential writes over the 830 64GB -- but they do scale much better at higher QD than the Samsung. Given the price spread between the 64GB Chronos DX ($139) and the 120GB variant ($209), it doesn't make much financial sense to get the 64GB, but if you want the fastest 64GB drive around, that's it. It's almost as fast as the 120GB Vertex 3.The Samsung 830 is fine in it's own right, but mine is trapped in some kind of lower performance state which no SE or "performance optimization" can restore. I think it's some kind of FW bug -- Attribute 177 (Wear Leveling Count/PE cycles) doesn't update while the drive is powered on either.[/citation]

Interesting. Didn't know that Mushkin did a 60 GB. Seems like the only manufacturer who chose to do a 60 GB Toggle.

In any case, something is wrong with your drive. I chat regularly with Ao1@XS and there's no throttling on Samsung drives. You should do an RMA.

tuffjuff

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
I picked up a Intel 320 120GB a few weeks ago and the difference is night and day. I don't think I can ever go back to life without an SSD.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]it's very important to known what firmware was used....[/citation]

Look at the test page.

Status
Not open for further replies.