[SOLVED] 60-70c load temperature on 9600k/CM 212 Evo. Normal?

danjm99

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I finished a new build today but I'm wondering if my processor cooling is performing as it should. Running a stock 9600k with a Cooler Master 212 EVO. Removed the front (intake) case fans as the bearing were starting to get a bit loud and I've got new ones on order. Right now I'm just using a rear exhaust and the cooler.

Ambient temperatures are very mild, computer room is the attic which gets cold this time of year, so probably only just 20C tonight after I get it sufficiently warmed. Less on colder days.

Idle temps 25c, light use (browser, explorer etc) probably no more than 35c.

Under very heavy load (prime95) temperature tops out as about 70-72 celsius and remains there.

Gaming, only tested in Far Cry 5 so far, but still under decent load, a max temperature of 65 was recorded, but it seems to be sitting around the 60 mark most of the time.

Are my temperatures a cause for concern at all? My 3570/Zalman CNPS-9900 kept my 3570k a fair bit cooler than this.

Solution
The temps seem a little high (maybe 5c at most), but not outlandish. The 9600k is a 95W CPU vs the 3570k which was a 77W CPU. That's a significant amount of extra heat to dissipate.

That being said, 72c isn't going to be doing any real harm to the CPU. It shouldn't even really throttle below 80c.

Zarniwoop81

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
The temps seem a little high (maybe 5c at most), but not outlandish. The 9600k is a 95W CPU vs the 3570k which was a 77W CPU. That's a significant amount of extra heat to dissipate.

That being said, 72c isn't going to be doing any real harm to the CPU. It shouldn't even really throttle below 80c.

Solution

danjm99

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

Ok thanks. Yes, I would've expected it to run a little colder, especially considering I'm not using the stock cooler . I probably did use a little too much thermal compound but if it was far too much I guess I'd be seeing higher temperatures than 70 under massive load. If it becomes a problem I might get a better unit than the 212 evo and reapply compound.

I'm trying not to jump to any conclusions yet asmy case is temporarily without front airflow, so all that is happening is air is being pushed out. I'm installing 2x bequiet purewings fans in the front panel over the next week and hopefully I will see a difference afterwards.

danjm99

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Couple of days on and temperatures seem to be better now the cooler has been in for a bit and 2 new case fans have been installed. A burn test with 95% of 16gb ram and 100% of cpu utilized sees temperatures stable at around 63-65c with one core touching a max of 70 at times but then dropping.