60.72 drivers break support for SGI 1600SW 17.3" 1600x1024..

It seems that ForceWare 60.72 drivers breaks the 1600x1024 60Hz mode on the
SGI 17.3" 1600SW 16:10 1600x1024 60hz LCD display by sending a 1280x1024
60hz signal regardless of resolution. Running powerstrip and doing a
negative horizontal sync appears to fix the problem. Not sure if the Apple
Cinema 22" display which uses the same timing mode is affected but 56.72
worked fine. There was a similar issue with 23.11 which was later fixed
with 27.42.

Cheers,
Vince

Vincent Poy wrote:

> It seems that ForceWare 60.72 drivers breaks the 1600x1024 60Hz mode on the
> SGI 17.3" 1600SW 16:10 1600x1024 60hz LCD display by sending a 1280x1024
> 60hz signal regardless of resolution. Running powerstrip and doing a
> negative horizontal sync appears to fix the problem. Not sure if the Apple
> Cinema 22" display which uses the same timing mode is affected but 56.72
> worked fine. There was a similar issue with 23.11 which was later fixed
> with 27.42.
>
> Cheers,
> Vince

I've never encountered this issue with any of my monitors, but I've read
in the past how some LCD's were being fed out of range frequencies or
forced to something other than default (like 70hz). In those cases, a
clean install by deleting your existing reg entries and any old driver
files seemed to help.

Check guru3d.com for some driver cleaners. Lots of people has leftovers
that causes trouble, for example, going to the 52.16's from 40.xx.

duralisis <NOduralisisSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Vincent Poy wrote:
>
>> It seems that ForceWare 60.72 drivers breaks the 1600x1024 60Hz mode
>> on the SGI 17.3" 1600SW 16:10 1600x1024 60hz LCD display by sending a
>> 1280x1024 60hz signal regardless of resolution. Running powerstrip
>> and doing a negative horizontal sync appears to fix the problem. Not
>> sure if the Apple Cinema 22" display which uses the same timing mode
>> is affected but 56.72 worked fine. There was a similar issue with
>> 23.11 which was later fixed with 27.42.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Vince
>
> I've never encountered this issue with any of my monitors, but I've
> read in the past how some LCD's were being fed out of range
> frequencies or forced to something other than default (like 70hz). In
> those cases, a clean install by deleting your existing reg entries and
> any old driver files seemed to help.
>
> Check guru3d.com for some driver cleaners. Lots of people has
> leftovers that causes trouble, for example, going to the 52.16's from
> 40.xx.

That's not where the issue is. The SGI is not a DVI display so it goes
through a converter box and requires a special timing mode which has to do
with the blanking time or sync polarity. There are no existing registry
entries remaining and old driver files have all been removed. It's
something hardcoded in the drivers that is not in the inf. They'll
eventually fix it in a later version like usual. Since 60.72, when you
install it, the monitor will see all signals regardless of what resolution
you choose as 1280x1024 63hz. When you run Powerstrip and hit - on the
sync polarity for the horizontal, the monitor will see the correct signal
and the resolution is correct.

Cheers,
Vince

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:12:23 -0500, duralisis <NOduralisisSPAM@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Vincent Poy wrote:
>
>> It seems that ForceWare 60.72 drivers breaks the 1600x1024 60Hz mode on the
>> SGI 17.3" 1600SW 16:10 1600x1024 60hz LCD display by sending a 1280x1024
>> 60hz signal regardless of resolution. Running powerstrip and doing a
>> negative horizontal sync appears to fix the problem. Not sure if the Apple
>> Cinema 22" display which uses the same timing mode is affected but 56.72
>> worked fine. There was a similar issue with 23.11 which was later fixed
>> with 27.42.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Vince
>
>I've never encountered this issue with any of my monitors, but I've read
>in the past how some LCD's were being fed out of range frequencies or
>forced to something other than default (like 70hz). In those cases, a
>clean install by deleting your existing reg entries and any old driver
>files seemed to help.
>
>Check guru3d.com for some driver cleaners. Lots of people has leftovers
>that causes trouble, for example, going to the 52.16's from 40.xx.

They do not work and have not been updated, the driverheaven.net one is far
better.