60*C Idling, 72*C Youtube..

CynosureEPR

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
I'm on my secondary dual-boxing machine with an AMD Phenom ii 840.

I've been playing games on this rig for over a year without any issues. However, the other day I loaded up a game and my computer started shutting off within 5 minutes of gameplay. I was confused and loaded up some temperature monitoring programs.

My CPU is showing 58-63*C idle and 72-75*C when simply watching a YouTube video. It's actually up to 77*C as the time of this posting.

I opened up the case and threw a house fan on it and there has been no decrease in the temperature.

What could have called for the significant change? What can I do to aid the problem? I've run out of thermal paste so reseating it isn't an option for at least a week.

CynosureEPR

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
I can also add, there doesn't seem to be much heat coming from the processor itself at all. I've had processors overheat before and you can feel the warmth on the heatsink. The heatsink is very cool and I can touch it without any issues at all (feels like cold metal).

The_Doctor

Honorable
May 19, 2013

A few question are you using the
Standard Clocks?
Standard Voltage?
Standard Heatsink?
The Doctor

CynosureEPR

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
Yes to all of those!

No overclocking/volting going on and it's the standard crappy heatsink. I normally upgrade the heatsinks but this was just a second-hand computer I picked up and it was idling at 36*C with it prior so I left it.

Ran a quick game patch (update) and this brought the temps all the way up to 80*C so I turned it off. lol

The_Doctor

Honorable
May 19, 2013

Can you confirm the Heatsink is actually working? though low temp could suggest its fine and a monitoring problem it could also mean the inverse that it is not working thus leaving the temp in the CPU really high.
The Doctor

CynosureEPR

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
I've ordered more thermal paste just now, but it won't be here for a week.

And Doctor, it has to be the second option as my computer is actually shutting off under full load of a game which implies extreme overheating. I will go run a game quickly and let you know how high it gets before it shuts off.

The_Doctor

Honorable
May 19, 2013

Should be around 90 ish depending on Bios Settings.
The Doctor

TRENDING THREADS