60 FPS in AC3

BloodyDream3

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I hear everyone saying that they get really low FPS in AC3, but I'm hitting around 60. I don't know why either, I have a GTX 660 SuperClocked (factory OC'd). If there's a way to post a screenshot then I will, but I don't know how.

The game's framerates vary wildly depending on where you are in the game. In places like the Frontier or the Homestead, 60FPS is easily achievable. When you get into crowded urban areas like Boston, your framerates take a dive when the screen gets very busy, eg. lots of NPCs.

AC3's performance problems aren't really GPU related, the game is very heavily CPU bound, it isn't well threaded. The game rides one core very heavily, and doesn't use the other cores very effectively. If you have an overclocked Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge CPU, you'll probably get good performance.

I get okay performance with my first gen i5 if I turn the environment details down from very high to high, as something in the environment details setting takes up lots of CPU power, and causes my framerates to dip below 30 FPS in Boston. When I'm in Boston, my framerates will usually be in the 30s or 40s, with my GPU usage capping out at 85%.

TL, DR version: Your CPU is more important than your GPU when it comes to performance in AC3.

BloodyDream3

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

Hmm, gotcha. I don't have it Overclocked, but I have an i5 3570K. I saw that it focused on one core, but I figured graphics still played a big part. It takes up around 60% of my GPUs load. I just hear a lot of people complaining, but mine is really good. Even in Boston, I have around 60.