60 GXP is failing on me.

Tutlas

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
hi all, about a month and a half ago i put togeather a new system using a 60 gig 60gxp HDD...... well i reallllly wish i didnt go with IBM. i heard terrible things about the 75gxp, but i figured i would be ok because i was getting the 60gxp. about a week after i had the system up and running it started randomly making these.... well, the best way i can describe it is a beep sound, but not a sound intended to be a beep, like the hard drive is spinning such that the sound is a beep. it lasts for a second or two. this went on for a month until the goddamn thing died on me. well i called IBM and talked to a very helpful guy and he told me where i could get the tester boot disk thing. i ran it, and it found a bad sector, and fixed it. at first i was relieved because i feared i would have to send it to thailand and i wouldnt see a HD for another 2 months. after i fixed it i reinstalled windows xp and proceeded to curse ibm and wish i had just bought a seagate or maxtor, you see i absolutly hate reformatting and reinstalling, redownloading, reconfiguring everything... anyway i doubt any of you care. well after a couple hours i heard the noise again, and think to myself... hmmm well i should have another 30 days on me til i have to clean the thing out again. my question is i need advice, should i RMA the thing now, wait till it breaks again then RMA it, or just keep on running the utility everytime it breaks. thanks for the help.

Magneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree. Send it back ASAP. I tried the same things with my DTLA-307045 75GXP, and it would work ok for a month, and then I'd get the clicks, chirps, bad sectors, etc...
It finally got to the point where the IBM DFT tool would not fix the problem.
I received my replacement back in Aug of last year, and so far I've had 4 bad sector problems with this one. I have no choice but to RMA this one soon, because I have no use for a hard drive that I can't trust.
When you get the replacement, I'd seriously recommend a dedicated hard drive cooler if you are planning on running and using the new drive. But I can honestly say that I still would not trust IBM hard drives.
Good luck,
Mag...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
u have had rotten luck with those dries mag.
i would love to know the place they were manufactured...

the 60gxp ive got is made by ibm in thailand... and a fried has one, also no probs, thats made for ibm in malasia.

i wonder why some people are getting 3 baddies in a row and others arnt.
gotta be something in common

Overclocked athlon 1200C @ 8.5 x 166FSB + PC2700 = GOOD! :smile: