[SOLVED] 60 hz second monitor causing stutters on 144 hz main monitor

nwelbo7789

Commendable
Dec 10, 2017
I have a dual monitor setup with my main monitor being a 144hz monitor connected via display port and my second monitor a 60 hz monitor connected via HDMI. If I want to have a video playing in chrome on my second monitor while playing a game on my main monitor I notice that I get really bad micro stutters constantly. I think this is because of the difference in monitor refresh rates but I cannot find a solution anywhere. My pc gets no stutters whatsoever when my second monitor is not playing a video. Im on windows 10 with a i7-9700k, 2070 super, 16gb ddr4 so my pc should be able to handle playing a game while playing a video easily. The only semi fix that I have found is lowering my main monitors refresh rate to 120hz which seems to fix the problem but this isnt ideal because I would like to get the full refresh rate out of my main monitor.

Solution
The timing generator issue is helped at 120/60 hz as it is a straight multiple. Alot easier for the generator to manage.

Some things that MIGHT help with your mismatch:

This may depend of course on fullscreen vs windowed vs borderless windowed.

Disable scaling

Disable overlays, or change the hardware acceleration of any overlays

Method of playing video not specified. Try disabling/enabling hardware video acceleration switch in the application.

Go into the NVidia Control Panel.
Go to "Adjust desktop size and position"
Select the 60Hz display and set to GPU scaling if not there already

NVidia Profile Inspector (from Orbmu2k) can be helpful for using hidden switches such as Single Display Performance Mode, and Frame Rate...
The timing generator issue is helped at 120/60 hz as it is a straight multiple. Alot easier for the generator to manage.

Some things that MIGHT help with your mismatch:

This may depend of course on fullscreen vs windowed vs borderless windowed.

Disable scaling

Disable overlays, or change the hardware acceleration of any overlays

Method of playing video not specified. Try disabling/enabling hardware video acceleration switch in the application.

Go into the NVidia Control Panel.
Go to "Adjust desktop size and position"
Select the 60Hz display and set to GPU scaling if not there already

NVidia Profile Inspector (from Orbmu2k) can be helpful for using hidden switches such as Single Display Performance Mode, and Frame Rate limiting. Check the github repository.

Solution