60% of Smartphones Sold on AT&T, Verizon Were iPhones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironslice

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Still, I feel like we're finally seeing hope for Android. This is the first time that an android phone (GS3) has had so many sales and so much marketing towards it. Also, its the first time that an android phone is available as the exact same phone on all carriers, for people to buy. I know that Apples sales are still good, but Samsung is quickly gaining ground. I have one myself and people are always asking me: "Is that the galaxy S3??" "Is that the one where you can touch phones? That's badass!!"

Also, the android platform has never been so good looking because of Google's new Holo themed base for making apps. The stability is also much better and the app support.

LETS TAKE APPLE DOWN BITCHES!!!

eternalkp

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
oh well, apple sucks now.
I have iphone4 and iOS6 completely ruins it. Slow. Youtube app is gone. Map sucks. why isn't siri available for my iphone4?
I bought iphone4 2 years ago because of my gf. she loves it.

My next phone will definitely be an anroid. Note 2 or maybe a Nexus

60% means nothing. World wide, everyone uses android. That's why android has 4x market share as much as iOS world wide.
and now android 4.2, along with its nexus 4, 7, and 10. i don't apple will survive this rough winter.

LETS TAKE APPLE DOWN BITCHES!!!
WTH?!

It's simple, if you don't like the iPhone then don't buy one.

My daughter went from the iPhone 4 to the S3 and hates it, her S3 locks-up.

These are 'phones' - if you want mobile status then get a Mercedes, BMW, Bentley, Ferrari, Porsche, Bugatti, Maserati, etc. Anyone can get a $200 phone working at McDonald's.

coder543

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
[citation][nom]jaquith[/nom]WTH?! It's simple, if you don't like the iPhone then don't buy one.My daughter went from the iPhone 4 to the S3 and hates it, her S3 locks-up.These are 'phones' - if you want mobile status then get a Mercedes, BMW, Bentley, Ferrari, Porsche, Bugatti, Maserati, etc. Anyone can get a $200 phone.[/citation]

Honestly, I've seen iPod touches, iPads, and iPhones lock up too. It was scary. No auto-reset or anything, I had to figure out that it hadn't kicked the bucket on my own. My Android phone will at least have the courtesy of rebooting automatically when it locks up, and if that's the *only* issue she's having and she hates it, she is doing something wrong. The GS3 is much better than the iPhone, especially with the Maps debacle, but even without that.

Never have any of our iPhone's locked-up - not a once. If for some reason there's a problem, hmm...hold the power button.

Ah huh, search 'galaxy S3 lockup'. So I guess she and a vast number of folks are 'doing something wrong' :lol:

As far as maps, frankly neither for NAV and if there's a (1 in a million) concern either use Microsoft maps (Bing) or Google's maps.google.com Hey, I remember when I had to use Yahoo maps because Google maps sucked and didn't have updated mapping data. Give it time, Apple has the bucks to fix the problem.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]jaquith[/nom]Never have any of our iPhone's locked-up - not a once. If for some reason there's a problem, hmm...hold the power button.Ah huh, search 'galaxy S3 lockup'. So I guess she and a vast number of folks are 'doing something wrong'[/citation]
Why don't you look up "iphone locking up" (with some holding power doesn't even work) they are not immune and just cause yours have not locked up doesn't mean they don't. iPhones are not special they are vulnerable to everything that every other phone is vulnerable too oh and just for some more anecdotal evidence... my nieces 4S has locked up a few times yet my Bionic has not locked up once yet, have fun with that.

tacobravo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Isn't that because Apple pushes companies like AT&T and Verizon to sell a specific amount of iphones minimum to continue doing business with Apple? That's why. I have read a lot of stories from former employees and even some of my friends friends tell me.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
its actually a lot less than i thought it was. i thought it would be closer to 75%. then again, i see more people with s3's than with the iphone 4 or 5. people like big phones

gamebrigada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Funny. Talked to a couple managers in apple stores today. They have a new policy where they need your social security card. Asked em why. Their reply? 2% of the iphone 5's sold in Apple stores were actually activated and are used on a US network.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Hmmm, I love how they never mention that 70% of iPhone sales are upgrades to existing customers. That Apples market share is shrinking because they are not grabbing the lion share of new customers. Android is current 50%+ of the phone market.

This trend is starting to happen in the tablet market too. Apples once 68% of the tablet market has shrunk to 55%. Androids market share has grown from 28% to 44%, in the last 6 months.

So what this means is that as new customers convert from old phones to smart phones, the majority of the market is Android, then Apple, then Windows/Other. This is starting to be the trend with Android too.

The big reason ... wait for it ... $$$$. People don't like spending $$$$. Apple costs a lot of $$$$ to provide basically the same primary features (phone calls, browse web, check email, consume entertainment) versus Android. Case in point Apple Mini ... $320 ... Kindle Fire HD (Android) ... $200. Amazon has more content than is found in iTunes, its device is less expensive, and does the same thing as the iPad. Hmmm.

A high price does not mean a better product, its just the price point that Apple has decided to sell its product at. They make a big margin on hardware sales, that's why they have so much cash right now, because they are overcharging you for the product, and using basically slave labor (Search on Foxxcon) to build it cheep. Nice company, I see why everyone loves them.

G

I heard and I don't know if it is apple or the stores, but sellers get more commission from selling Iphones, than any other phone and tacobravo is also correct.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]48% were iPhones which encompasses what 3 models and there's a hundred different Android models out there. Hate Apple all you want that's impressive.[/citation]

No, the only thing impressive is just how dumb most Americans are.

Harry_Wild

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012
I tried to buy an iPhone5 but it all on backorder or something two weeks agon. They do not even accept orders at the stores anymore; you have to go online to their website and do it their. Pretty weird. I will try again tomorrow and hopefully they have gotten some stock back in.

The iPhone5 is really the only smartphone out there that is any good. That why it accounts for 60% of the smartphones sold in the U.S. I always try to buy two but sometimes; I cannot get two! Just something that is ultra high demand - worldwide! I always get the 64GB version too!

[citation][nom]jaquith[/nom]My daughter went from the iPhone 4 to the S3 and hates it, her S3 locks-up.[/citation]
Lemme guess - your daughter is school aged? Way back in the 1990s, my aunt asked me to get her family connected to the Internet. I bought a modem for their computer and set them up with an AT&T dialup account. At the time, AT&T had the most reliable and widespread service, great customer support (oh how times change), and gave you a vanilla connection to the net.

A couple weeks later she told me she had canceled the AT&T account and gotten an AOL account. I had avoided AOL because they didn't give you a vanilla Internet connection - they insisted on running all your email, news, and web browsing through their client, which was a slow, bloated mess. I asked why, and it turned out her daughter hated having a plain Internet connection. She had to have AOL because that's what all the popular kids in school used.

Kids aren't very objective sources for product reviews.

[citation][nom]Solandri[/nom]Lemme guess - your daughter is school aged? Way back in the 1990s, my aunt asked me to get her family connected to the Internet. I bought a modem for their computer and set them up with an AT&T dialup account. At the time, AT&T had the most reliable and widespread service, great customer support (oh how times change), and gave you a vanilla connection to the net.A couple weeks later she told me she had canceled the AT&T account and gotten an AOL account. I had avoided AOL because they didn't give you a vanilla Internet connection - they insisted on running all your email, news, and web browsing through their client, which was a slow, bloated mess. I asked why, and it turned out her daughter hated having a plain Internet connection. She had to have AOL because that's what all the popular kids in school used.Kids aren't very objective sources for product reviews.[/citation]
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. For starters my daughter has every tech toy imaginable including a $6K gaming rig (3-WAY GTX 680's) sporting 3xHD 3D Vision, and has had a cell phone since she was 8 years old as a competitive national figure skater, and most importantly she's very intelligent and a straight 'A' student. So you're confusing 'us' and 'her' with your kids and or yourself. As far as an internet connection we have FiOS Quantum - http://www.tomsguide.com/us/verizon-fios-broadband-quantum,news-15582.html , we've had residential broadband since there was such a thing ISDN -> DSL -> Cable -> now Fiber with FiOS. I own a data center and I'd say I know a thing or two. Yes we've had AOL but only as a separate service and then with broadband. So my daughter has always had the best -- I do well.

My kid knows a lot, no a crap load more than you - know it.

She hopes the S3 problems get fixed or she wants an iPhone 5 or if available maybe an HTC Windows Phone 8X. Frankly, she can have pretty much anything she wants.

sweetleader

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
[citation][nom]jaquith[/nom]She hopes the S3 problems get fixed or she wants an iPhone 5 or if available maybe an HTC Windows Phone 8X. Frankly, she can have pretty much anything she wants.[/citation]

Frankly you sound like a complete tool. Nobody believes, or even cares about, anything you just said.

halcyon

Splendid
I have an S3 and I never had any problems with it. The only reason I sprang for a Note 2 is that I wanted a large screen. Even though the Note 2 is stated to be so fast I don't recall my S3 being slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.