Question 600$ budget build opinion

Jun 13, 2022
Hello, i am currently building PC for a teenager cousin for gaming.

What do you think about it?

MOBO - Asus Prime H510M-D Micro ATX - 70$
CPU - Intel i3-10100F - 80$
RAM - Goodram DDR4 2x8GB, 3200MHz CL 16 - 60$
GPU - PNY GeForce 1660 Ti/Super - 290$
some case that he personally chosed - Krux Trek KRX0015 -25$
and propably this PSU - SilentiumPC Elementum E2 550W - 40$; it have good opinions in our country; it is from our county, so you might not have heard about this brand

and some cheap 1tb hdd, as if he can choose between 1tb hdd and 256gb ssd, i would deffinitly reccomend first, to actually have a spece for games.

this is for 1080p tops, now he is on 256mb gts something, intel dual core cpu for 10$ and 2gb ram, so i think this will be huge upgrade for him; should be able to play newer games in 60fps on medium/high settings.

So, i am waiting for your opinions.
I personally think mobo isnt so good, but we had to cut costs somewhere. also 2 ddr slots sucks, but i do not think he will be ever upgrading it.
first gpu choice was 1650, but the price difference between 1650 and 1660ti is about 70$, and performance difference is worth of the price in my opinion.
cpu should manage, watched some benchmark from newer games, it plays nice with gpu.
and psu, i would like to get him a really good one, but for this setup, paying for psu more than for cpu sounds bit silly.

Anyway, i am waiting for your opinions, what would you change. budget is about 600$, but i think he would be glad if it would be reduced to 500$.
Also, theese prices are approximate, we have different currency, so prices might not match with what you have.

Reactions: AgentBirdnest
Hey there,

What country are you purchasing in?

For a little more (not much more), you get something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($134.00 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 GAMING X V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($258.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ EVGA)
Total: $627.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-25 14:33 EDT-0400

This would be very strong at 1080p, and a more modern platform with better performance generally in every way.

Jun 13, 2022
Hey there,

What country are you purchasing in?

For a little more (not much more), you get something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($134.00 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 GAMING X V2 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($258.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ EVGA)
Total: $627.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-25 14:33 EDT-0400

This would be very strong at 1080p, and a more modern platform with better performance generally in every way.
I am buying in Poland. I think that buying from Amazon is no-go, is something dies, the warriety would be nightmare, and he is not competent enough to manage that. He is too lazy to make threat like this in some polish forums in our native language. Also, i never bought anything from Amazon, i do not know how safe it is, and if something would get wrong, shipping missing or damaged of course i would be one to blame. I do not need this.

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
I am buying in Poland. I think that buying from Amazon is no-go, is something dies, the warriety would be nightmare, and he is not competent enough to manage that. He is too lazy to make threat like this in some polish forums in our native language. Also, i never bought anything from Amazon, i do not know how safe it is, and if something would get wrong, shipping missing or damaged of course i would be one to blame. I do not need this.

Amazon.pl

Honestly Amazon couldn't be a better company to deal with in my experience. Haven't had any issues with their customer service or returns.

I can't say I've ever dealt with Amazon in Poland, however in the UK I've found Amazon to be among the easiest to deal with. I've never had a problem returning anything to them. When things weren't delivered they never questioned it they just sent me another.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Hello, i am currently building PC for a teenager cousin for gaming.

What do you think about it?

MOBO - Asus Prime H510M-D Micro ATX - 70$
CPU - Intel i3-10100F - 80$
RAM - Goodram DDR4 2x8GB, 3200MHz CL 16 - 60$
GPU - PNY GeForce 1660 Ti/Super - 290$
some case that he personally chosed - Krux Trek KRX0015 -25$
and propably this PSU - SilentiumPC Elementum E2 550W - 40$; it have good opinions in our country; it is from our county, so you might not have heard about this brand

and some cheap 1tb hdd, as if he can choose between 1tb hdd and 256gb ssd, i would deffinitly reccomend first, to actually have a spece for games.

this is for 1080p tops, now he is on 256mb gts something, intel dual core cpu for 10$ and 2gb ram, so i think this will be huge upgrade for him; should be able to play newer games in 60fps on medium/high settings.

So, i am waiting for your opinions.
I personally think mobo isnt so good, but we had to cut costs somewhere. also 2 ddr slots sucks, but i do not think he will be ever upgrading it.
first gpu choice was 1650, but the price difference between 1650 and 1660ti is about 70$, and performance difference is worth of the price in my opinion.
cpu should manage, watched some benchmark from newer games, it plays nice with gpu.
and psu, i would like to get him a really good one, but for this setup, paying for psu more than for cpu sounds bit silly.

Anyway, i am waiting for your opinions, what would you change. budget is about 600$, but i think he would be glad if it would be reduced to 500$.
Also, theese prices are approximate, we have different currency, so prices might not match with what you have.
Your build is a competent budget gaming rig. Certainly a world away from the Intel dual core you mention above. A 6 core chip is beneficial on newer games, if there was any flexibility in the budget @keith12 has suggested a good alternative. The i3 12100F can also be had for slightly cheaper than the AMD build suggested.

AgentBirdnest

Respectable
Jun 8, 2022
I would really recommend an SSD. Personally, I would split the difference and get a 500GB SSD, which is the same price as 1TB hard drive. I can only speak for the USA market, though. I don't know anything about prices in Poland. :-/
Other than that, I think it's a perfect setup for the price. I think the mobo should be just fine for that CPU. I don't think you could lower the price at all unless you downgrade the GPU.

Random note: The 1660 Super is like 98% as fast as a 1660 Ti, so I guess just get whatever is cheapest between the two (which would normally be the Super.)

Reactions: CompuGuy71
Fast action games do well with strong graphics cards so a GTX1650ti is good.
If the games are more cpu centric like sims, mmo and strategy games, you could back off on the graphics card.
The I3-10100 is actually a relatively strong performer.
Here is a review from 2 years ago when it was introduced:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/15.html

I would have no problem with 2 ram slots and a low cost H510 based motherboard.

Cases are a personal thing so I would have no issue with the case pick.

If you can, try to include a 500gb ssd of any type.
It really makes everything quicker.
Storage can be upgraded later if needed.

I am not familiar with the psu and it's quality.
Look at the warranty. If it is 7 to 10 years it will be good quality.
5 years is ok.
Less and I would try to look elsewhere.
A cheap PSU will be made of substandard components. It may not have all safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability;
issues that are hard to diagnose.
The fan will need to spin up higher to cool it, making it noisy.
A cheap PSU can become very expensive.

Do not buy one.
Corsair makes some decent budget units.

Jun 13, 2022
I would really recommend an SSD. Personally, I would split the difference and get a 500GB SSD, which is the same price as 1TB hard drive. I can only speak for the USA market, though. I don't know anything about prices in Poland. :-/
Other than that, I think it's a perfect setup for the price. I think the mobo should be just fine for that CPU. I don't think you could lower the price at all unless you downgrade the GPU.

Random note: The 1660 Super is like 98% as fast as a 1660 Ti, so I guess just get whatever is cheapest between the two (which would normally be the Super.)

I know, i also would reccomend SSD, i bought my first one recently and it really makes a difference. However, in price of 500gb ssd is 2x 1tb hdd in our country. So for now he will have to got a HDD. I told him that this should be the first thing to upgrade when he will have more money.

And yeah, i case of TI/Super this is exactly how i approached this, the difference in performance is almost non-existing, so, whatever.

Ok then, so i guess i will find a better psu, as everyone here says.

AgentBirdnest

Respectable
Jun 8, 2022
I know, i also would reccomend SSD, i bought my first one recently and it really makes a difference. However, in price of 500gb ssd is 2x 1tb hdd in our country. So for now he will have to got a HDD. I told him that this should be the first thing to upgrade when he will have more money.
Ah, dang... Yeah, with that kind of price difference, the HDD makes more sense.