[SOLVED] $600 Budget system build for Wifey

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kafungalung

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
Approximate Purchase Date: 30 days or less

Budget Range: $600 before rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: light gaming, Heavy editing and processing. She has a side hustle of making t shirt designs for co workers and falimy and uses a bluetooth connected Cricket from her laptop for everything currently.

Are you buying a monitor: yes

Overclocking: If necessary

SLI or Crossfire: no

Additional Comments: Needs to be wifi and bluetooth capable.

Already have a Case and a GFX card that should handle her light gaming needs. linked below.

darkFlash Micro ATX Computer Case DLM21
XFX Radeon RX 580

Just need a:
  • cpu
  • power supply
  • mobo
  • memory
  • storage
  • (optional) wifi card
Already decided to get rgb case fans and a rgb after market cooler linked here. but they have not been bought yet

DEEPCOOL RF120M 5IN1
DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX GT BK

Honestly from what i know about ram i think these days 3000 or 3200 is the sweet spot for most people based on the info i have seen and the intel 660p 1 tb is probably the way to go for storage but i dont want to limit anyones creativity in the build. My main point of concern is a motherboard because i know there are lots of technical differences between m.2 slot usages and overclocking ability and fan header amounts and power supplying things so i am the most lost when picking out mobos. i have soft selected a ASRock MicroATX Motherboard (B450M PRO4). but honestly I don't know. I also have never used a wifi car or one with bluetooth so i don't know what to pick there either. I am pretty certain that the max i could ever need on 1 gfx card is 650w power supply, but thats the extent of my knowledge there also.

Any help would be appreciated as we are going on our 1 year anniversary vacation the first week of October and I would like to build this for her when we get back if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Solution
I'd do this on the CPU cooler though, especially if you have ANY plans to some overclocking on that system. Light, medium or otherwise. The Gammaxx GT is not particularly great beyond using it as a replacement for the stock cooler.

This would be MILES better.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.79 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright MACHO Rev.C 84.97 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive...

kafungalung

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
On the other hand, there are sometimes some pretty crazy deals that pop up on the 2000 series Ryzen CPUs. Even beyond that, if you happen to live near enough to a MicroCenter, they will sometimes have nearly unbeatable deals on CPU/Motherboard combos. Unfortunatey, those MicroCenter deals are in-store only.

Another thing I might suggest is sticking with either the stock cooler or the Gammaxx, and seeing if your wife's usage ever necessitates a better cooler.

side note: and this I'm not entirely sure of, but I thought that B450 motherboards that already had the BIOS update to support the 3000 series CPUs are supposed to be explicitly marked on the box as being capable of supporting such.
I think im pretty decided now but thank you for responding i really appreciate getting this level of help on this stuff