[SOLVED] $600 Budget system build for Wifey

kafungalung

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
Approximate Purchase Date: 30 days or less

Budget Range: $600 before rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: light gaming, Heavy editing and processing. She has a side hustle of making t shirt designs for co workers and falimy and uses a bluetooth connected Cricket from her laptop for everything currently.

Are you buying a monitor: yes

Overclocking: If necessary

SLI or Crossfire: no

Additional Comments: Needs to be wifi and bluetooth capable.

Already have a Case and a GFX card that should handle her light gaming needs. linked below.

darkFlash Micro ATX Computer Case DLM21
XFX Radeon RX 580

Just need a:
  • cpu
  • power supply
  • mobo
  • memory
  • storage
  • (optional) wifi card
Already decided to get rgb case fans and a rgb after market cooler linked here. but they have not been bought yet

DEEPCOOL RF120M 5IN1
DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX GT BK

Honestly from what i know about ram i think these days 3000 or 3200 is the sweet spot for most people based on the info i have seen and the intel 660p 1 tb is probably the way to go for storage but i dont want to limit anyones creativity in the build. My main point of concern is a motherboard because i know there are lots of technical differences between m.2 slot usages and overclocking ability and fan header amounts and power supplying things so i am the most lost when picking out mobos. i have soft selected a ASRock MicroATX Motherboard (B450M PRO4). but honestly I don't know. I also have never used a wifi car or one with bluetooth so i don't know what to pick there either. I am pretty certain that the max i could ever need on 1 gfx card is 650w power supply, but thats the extent of my knowledge there also.

Any help would be appreciated as we are going on our 1 year anniversary vacation the first week of October and I would like to build this for her when we get back if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Solution
I'd do this on the CPU cooler though, especially if you have ANY plans to some overclocking on that system. Light, medium or otherwise. The Gammaxx GT is not particularly great beyond using it as a replacement for the stock cooler.

This would be MILES better.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.79 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright MACHO Rev.C 84.97 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive...
For what you're needing this to do, this might even be overkill, but is basically about the best bang for the buck option out there.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($139.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock B365M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.88 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC55BT B1 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $494.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-26 19:21 EDT-0400

This is certainly an option too, if you like red better than blue. Keep in mind, that for the B450 or X470 motherboards, if you want to use them with Zen2/Ryzen 3000 series processors, you need to either get one that has BIOS flashback which is mainly only some of the MSI boards or the very high end ASUS boards, unless you feel confident about getting a board that has already had the BIOS updated to a version that will support those newer processors which is unlikely or at best, an unfavorable gamble.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.88 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC55BT B1 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $579.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-26 23:15 EDT-0400

Last edited:

kafungalung

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
thank you
For what you're needing this to do, this might even be overkill, but is basically about the best bang for the buck option out there.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($139.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock B365M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $494.62
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-26 19:21 EDT-0400

This is certainly an option too, if you like red better than blue. Keep in mind, that for the B450 or X470 motherboards, if you want to use them with Zen2/Ryzen 3000 series processors, you need to either get one that has BIOS flashback which is mainly only some of the MSI boards or the very high end ASUS boards, unless you feel confident about getting a board that has already had the BIOS updated to a version that will support those newer processors which is unlikely or at best, an unfavorable gamble.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $569.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-26 19:26 EDT-0400
thanks for the builds, I really have no intention of going intel at this price point and i also don't wanna deal with the zen 2 headaches with mobos if possible. right now the ryzen 5 2600 is only 130 on amazon so that may be the best bang for the buck option. I like the storage and ram and wifi links you provided. I was not sure about an 80+ gold psu, but at that price point its worth the extra 20 dollars so well played there, I simply couldn't find an 80+ gold at that price point when i looked. could you perhaps suggest an alternate option of cpu + mobo combo to swap for the AMD build?

Your choice, obviously, but I'm not sure why you'd want to hamstring yourself with a 2nd Gen Ryzen system that gets smashed by the 9th Gen Intel i5 in 90% of graphics and office applications. That Ryzen 5 is not generally near as capable as that 9400F, for just about anything that isn't VERY optimized for more than six cores. If it uses six cores or less, which is STILL the majority of applications these days, the moderately higher single core performance of that 9th Gen Intel CPU offers you some advantage. But, people want what they want. I can only give you the facts.

If you prefer the R5 2600, and that's fine, I'm never going to argue hard against what somebody wants if they are at least moderately aware of what they need, which you seem to, then maybe something like this would be something I'd have likely suggested last year when the platform was current for AMD.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.20 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $488.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-26 20:21 EDT-0400

One thing you might want to make SURE of is that your case supports a standard sized ATX power supply, because not all mATX cases do and MOST miniITX cases DON'T.

kafungalung

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
Your choice, obviously, but I'm not sure why you'd want to hamstring yourself with a 2nd Gen Ryzen system that gets smashed by the 9th Gen Intel i5 in 90% of graphics and office applications. That Ryzen 5 is not generally near as capable as that 9400F, for just about anything that isn't VERY optimized for more than six cores. If it uses six cores or less, which is STILL the majority of applications these days, the moderately higher single core performance of that 9th Gen Intel CPU offers you some advantage. But, people want what they want. I can only give you the facts.

If you prefer the R5 2600, and that's fine, I'm never going to argue hard against what somebody wants if they are at least moderately aware of what they need, which you seem to, then maybe something like this would be something I'd have likely suggested last year when the platform was current for AMD.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($129.20 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $488.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-26 20:21 EDT-0400

One thing you might want to make SURE of is that your case supports a standard sized ATX power supply, because not all mATX cases do and MOST miniITX cases DON'T.
Well first I should clarify that i was under the assumption that the 9400f and the r52600 had almost identical fps numbers in games but that editing and rendering times would be better with a ryzen chip so thats why I asked. If I am wrong about that please let me know because the price difference is minimal. lastly is there a different option for the wifi card as that antenna being external not just from the case but like out and on top of it is unsightly haha.

Also given your very strong opinion that the 9400f is better im looking into the whole build very seriously and trying to find any possible issues with it's intended purpose.

so that in mind a few questions on that build. first, will i be able to overclock that cpu with the mobo you suggested? second will there be any issues with setting up a dual monitor display? and third as I said I plan on using rgb fans and a rgb cpu cooler(linked above) so will there be any issues there with mobo headers and asus sync stuff?

Last edited:
So, I specifically chose that kind of wireless adapter because they tend to offer much better range. Is there a reason why you won't simply use a wired ethernet connection with this machine, and then use bluetooth for the phone connection?

If there is no way to use wired ethernet, and the wireless router isn't too far away then yes, using one with less obvious antennas is possible, but you need to have some kind of antenna. You can actually just use a USB adapter but honestly they have far less range and rather worse throughput than PCIe models with or without antennas, generally.

What games do she primarily and typically play? That is probably the factor that should determine which works best for her. I'll be honest too. This late in the game, it seems like a really big waste to buy a 2nd Gen Ryzen OR a lower end 9th gen i5, although the 9400F is a terrific, REALLY terrific, performer for that price.

This is a little more, but would be a far, far better investment and would likely take you a lot further out in terms of years of usage. But ANY of these builds, is probably more than enough for the use case.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($64.40 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($42.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer T6E AC1300 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $591.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-26 22:38 EDT-0400

kafungalung

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
So, I specifically chose that kind of wireless adapter because they tend to offer much better range. Is there a reason why you won't simply use a wired ethernet connection with this machine, and then use bluetooth for the phone connection?

If there is no way to use wired ethernet, and the wireless router isn't too far away then yes, using one with less obvious antennas is possible, but you need to have some kind of antenna. You can actually just use a USB adapter but honestly they have far less range and rather worse throughput than PCIe models with or without antennas, generally.

What games do she primarily and typically play? That is probably the factor that should determine which works best for her. I'll be honest too. This late in the game, it seems like a really big waste to buy a 2nd Gen Ryzen OR a lower end 9th gen i5, although the 9400F is a terrific, REALLY terrific, performer for that price.

This is a little more, but would be a far, far better investment and would likely take you a lot further out in terms of years of usage. But ANY of these builds, is probably more than enough for the use case.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($64.40 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($42.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer T6E AC1300 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $591.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-26 22:38 EDT-0400
well her pc is often in the other room of our housedown the hall from the router/modem. also as i said in the original post she has a few other external electronics like her Cricket that she uses to print out vinyl and heat presses for t shirts and those typically connect wirelessly or through bluetooth.

and what i ment is an antenna that was cumbersome, one that simply protrudes from the back of the case was more what i was targeting. and she honestly games very little compared to me, she primarily uses the pc for the tasks just mentions and doing college work and actual work for her medical office. that being said i still want her to be able to play some games when she wants.

and lastly I am honestly a bit scared to try ryzen 3600 right now given all the mobo issues i have heard about with msi boards specifically, but i might just be uninformed as to how difficult they can be to get set up.

I'm frantically looking things up to make sure they can support some soft over clocking and are compatible with rgb and fit the dimensions of the case I already have and worried about wether or not the wifi car will fit alongside the gpu and if the rig will support multiple monitors ect not to mention monitor conections and what not when i pick out a monitor to grab 2 of. and all that while trying not to forget things like thermal paste witch i totally forgot the very first time i ever build a pc with an after market cooler lol.

Also as an aside thank you very very much for spending all this time with me on this as its very important to me since its an anniversary gift of sorts and you have been very helpful I was hoping for others to join in so as not to over burden you but it seems this site is less popular than when i build my last two pcs lol.

There are no "issues". What there IS, is a need to update the BIOS before the motherboard will recognize the Ryzen 3000/Zen2 processors, unless you use an X570 motherboard which are ridiculously expensive. The board I selected on that last one has BIOS flashback, which means all you need to do is download the latest BIOS from MSI, put in on a flash drive, stick in the flashback USB port on the back of the motherboard, push the bios flashback button until it flashes and it's done. Good to go after that. Literally THOUSANDS of people have done exactly that and do not have any problems. Literally HUNDREDS of them on this forum alone, have done that exact thing.

It's a non-issue unless you get a board that does not have BIOS flashback, which is most anything that isn't an MSI board with flashback or a handful of high end ASUS boards, that again, are too expensive unless you're looking for a high end overclocking board, which you are not.

There is essentially almost zero overclocking headroom on Ryzen. Doesn't matter what generation. Doesn't matter what board. Doesn't matter how experienced you are with overclocking, as I am. It's just not there, by design. These chips are already, from the factory, pushing the limits of what they can handle as it is. Much the same as most of the 8th and 9th gen Intel parts. We are simply toeing the line too tightly now on the end of Moore's law, and there just is not any room not already being crowded by the manufacturer just so that they can have a reason to sell new parts that at least "seem" more capable than the old parts.

With very good cooling and a very high end motherboard, you might be able to squeeze out an extra 100-200mhz on SOME Ryzen models, but mostly overclocking on Ryzen will consist of trying to simply get all cores to run at the peak boost speed, instead of some to run at peak boost while others run a few hundred mhz slower, for thermal reasons. Simply not worth the effort AND for this type of machine, completely not necessary because all of these platforms are extremely parallel capable. Linear performance is pretty much, for now, flatline. Nobody has really improved the overall IPC on anything, beyond very small gains, for along time now.

True that Zen2 has pulled very close to parity with Intel, but Intel has mostly been little more than at idle when it comes to making single core/IPC performance gains for a long time now. Most of their single core gains from the last three generations have come from clock speed increases, which again, leave little to no room for the owner to squeeze out any overclocking beyond what has already been squeezed out from the factory.

Honestly, I'd start looking to get performance from other areas than that. Faster memory performance, tightening timings, use of M.2 NVME storage, exceptional cooling so that thermal throttling under sustained usage never becomes a problem, high quality motherboards with extensive VRM and power delivery configurations, for the same reason as cooling.

The 2600 is pretty potent in gaming, not too far behind the 9400f and pretty much outdo it in non gaming. The 2600x is even better...
https://www.gearbest.com/blog/new-g...0f-which-is-the-price-performance-choice-6466
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng8Wa_jwwx8

A embedded wifi module is mostly better than the aft ones...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor | $148.57 @ OutletPC
Motherboard | MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard | $149.69 @ OutletPC
Memory | G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | $69.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $99.95 @ B&H
Power Supply | Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $74.97 @ Newegg
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $573.17
| Mail-in rebates | -$30.00
| Total | $543.17
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-27 02:04 EDT-0400 |

Last edited:

kafungalung

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
Thank you guys so much for all this. Ok so you have sold me on the ryzen 5 3600 build with an MSI mobo. That being said I think the best thing to do is just drop a 1 tb 660p m.2 in there since the price is very similar to that and getting a ssd for OS and a HDD for everything else. Does that sound good? And if so do you guys see any other potential issues with the case I have and gfx card I have and the case fans and cooler I plan on getting? And if so any recommendations on alternatives?

logainofhades

Titan
I would definitely go Ryzen 5, 6c, over the i5, 6c, due to the non gaming work, alone. Newer AAA titles, if she ever decides to play them, run smoother, on Ryzen 5, 6c vs an i5 6c, also. A Ryzen 2700x is an option as well. Given the GPU being used, gaming performance differences would be 0, but the 2700x would be a bit better, for editing tasks, generally. Also less chance of bios issues, with B450 boards. The 1tb 660p is a great choice. I use one myself.

If I was going to buy a Ryzen build, given that the cost of the processors when comparing to 2nd gen aren't all that different, there's no way I'd buy the generation with a much lower IPC and single core performance anymore than I'd buy a Haswell build at this point in time. And the single core performance, on average, between 2nd gen Ryzen and Haswell architectures, are about the same. Zen2 is on par with Coffee lake. No comparison IMO.

Check out the passmark performance statistics for your candidates.
For example, the i5-9400f has 6 threads and a total rating of 21104 and a single thread rating of 2396.
The r5 2600 has 12 threads and a total rating of 13525 and a single thread rating of 2005.
The total rating is when all threads are 100% busy. That is not a common occurrence even with multithreaded apps.

The single thread rating is the power of a single thread. That is what most games need.
On balance, both processors are similar with the 9400f a bit better for daily usage and games while the 2600 might be better for multithreaded batch production work.

Pay some attention first to a monitor. Look at IPS panels for better image quality.
For desktop work, two is a very good thing.

If your storage needs are moderate, buy a good ssd.
With lower ssd prices, I would not even use a HDD.
a 1tb ssd is reasonably priced today
1tb intel 660P is $99
https://www.newegg.com/intel-660p-series-1tb/p/N82E16820167462
One can add a HDD easily later for bulk storage.

kafungalung

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
If I was going to buy a Ryzen build, given that the cost of the processors when comparing to 2nd gen aren't all that different, there's no way I'd buy the generation with a much lower IPC and single core performance anymore than I'd buy a Haswell build at this point in time. And the single core performance, on average, between 2nd gen Ryzen and Haswell architectures, are about the same. Zen2 is on par with Coffee lake. No comparison IMO.
ok great so 3600 it is, like i said in the last post is there any compatability issues with the fans and cooler and case i linked in the original post if i go with the 3600 amd msi board with some higher mhz ram?

Check out the passmark performance statistics for your candidates.
For example, the i5-9400f has 6 threads and a total rating of 21104 and a single thread rating of 2396.
The r5 2600 has 12 threads and a total rating of 13525 and a single thread rating of 2005.
The total rating is when all threads are 100% busy. That is not a common occurrence even with multithreaded apps.

The single thread rating is the power of a single thread. That is what most games need.
On balance, both processors are similar with the 9400f a bit better for daily usage and games while the 2600 might be better for multithreaded batch production work.

And that was my point earlier with the Intel build. Technically, it outperforms the similarly priced 2nd Gen Ryzen platforms. The Zen2 platform however, changes that, because you get parity on the single core performance (OR pretty close to it) while still having the increase in threaded performance. Also more expensive than the 9400F, which, for the price is actually phenomenal. Consider that not very long ago people were still paying 130-150 bucks for an FX-8320 or 8350 and the 9400F just about doubles the performance of that platform, for the same price.

So both the 9400F and the R5 3600 are good choices, depending on how much you want to spend.

The compatibility issue I see is possibly the cooler. Depending on how long ago you bought that cooler it may not have the required AM4 mounting hardware.

The ones that you buy now have them, but if you bought that a while ago, and have had it for some time, it might not have come with it. Make sure. There might be AM4 adapter hardware available separately if you do not have it else you'd need to look at a different cooler.

kafungalung

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
The compatibility issue I see is possibly the cooler. Depending on how long ago you bought that cooler it may not have the required AM4 mounting hardware.

The ones that you buy now have them, but if you bought that a while ago, and have had it for some time, it might not have come with it. Make sure. There might be AM4 adapter hardware available separately if you do not have it else you'd need to look at a different cooler.
I have not bought the fans or cooler yet just the case and a hammydown gfx card from a friend. here is the build right now as far as i can tell based on your recommendations.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sN7cCL

and add these case fans as i couldn't find them on pcpp

There I fixed it for you.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX GT 29.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: darkFlash DLM 21 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Custom: DEEPCOOL RF120M 5x120mm RGB LED PWM Fans with Fan Hubs, Compatible with ASUS Aura Sync, No Wired Controller ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $786.62
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-27 16:08 EDT-0400

kafungalung

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
There I fixed it for you.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX GT 29.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ B&H)
Custom: DEEPCOOL RF120M 5x120mm RGB LED PWM Fans with Fan Hubs, Compatible with ASUS Aura Sync, No Wired Controller ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $786.62
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-27 16:08 EDT-0400
thank you sir,

I have one last question which is if this board would work as well with everything because it seems the exact same and a somewhat local microcenter has a deal on it near me so im just curious if not i think im all set with this build.

MSI B450M PRO-VDH AM4 mATX AMD Motherboard

I'd do this on the CPU cooler though, especially if you have ANY plans to some overclocking on that system. Light, medium or otherwise. The Gammaxx GT is not particularly great beyond using it as a replacement for the stock cooler.

This would be MILES better.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright MACHO Rev.C 84.97 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $801.62
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-09-27 16:12 EDT-0400

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

On the other hand, there are sometimes some pretty crazy deals that pop up on the 2000 series Ryzen CPUs. Even beyond that, if you happen to live near enough to a MicroCenter, they will sometimes have nearly unbeatable deals on CPU/Motherboard combos. Unfortunatey, those MicroCenter deals are in-store only.

Another thing I might suggest is sticking with either the stock cooler or the Gammaxx, and seeing if your wife's usage ever necessitates a better cooler.

side note: and this I'm not entirely sure of, but I thought that B450 motherboards that already had the BIOS update to support the 3000 series CPUs are supposed to be explicitly marked on the box as being capable of supporting such.

He already said he wanted to overclock, which pretty much puts those coolers OUT of the conversation.

There's a lot of things that are "supposed" to be one thing or another but if you've been doing this for any length of time you should have no doubts as to the fact that often the marketed packaging you see on any given site is OFTEN not the same as what you are sent. And that goes both ways. It could not say it's an updated version going off the marketing packaging images on the websites you order from and actually GET one that is already updated, or the other way around, especially if you get something through a third party seller on Amazon, Newegg or Ebay.

And, the motherboard I recommended for him has BIOS flashback, so it's a moot point anyhow.