600 euro pc upgrade without seeing any improvement

Jun 18, 2018
So recently I bought a: Tomahawk B350 MSI (motherboard), Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2x8gb RAM and AMD Ryzen 7 1700x. Ive installed all of them correctly, and updated all my drivers, and my windows is up to date. But when I start gaming or loading programs is takes ages before its loaded, and my pc has become slower than it was before. (I have a GigaByte GTX 1060 6gb). The total upgrade cost me 600 euro so I was expecting it to be way better but I can see 0 improvement. For instance gta v max settings: 10 second lagspikes every 30 seconds, alot of lag and no improvement. I really dont know what to do since ive updated and installed all my drivers.

Jun 18, 2018
I had a: ASRock H81M-DGS (motherboard), 8gb 799hz RAM and a Intel core i5 3.5ghz 5540 (not sure about the last number but it was 250 euro).
No I used my OS that was on my HDD, and updated it to the last update.

WildCard999

Titan

That's your issue, you need to do a clean install of Windows.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
That's going to be your issue, I would expect.

Driver conflicts happen, especially Intel to AMD.

While the 1700X is not the best 'gaming' CPU by any stretch, I would expect you to be seeing some solid gains vs your old system. Not likely to be 2x or anything like that, as a Haswell-era i5 is still pretty respectable, but there should be some gains (Depending on the specific titles, of course!).

WildCard999

Titan

You won't really see that improvement without a clean install, even with updated drivers your going to have conflicting drivers/updates/BIOS that isn't going to improve unless you start fresh.

Jun 18, 2018
Okay thanks alot for the help, Im going to do that! I had 1 other question I forgot to ask. But my GPU fan isnt working unless forced too. There is also no temperature it has to reach before turning on so it can easily overheat. But is there any way I can fix this?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

You may only see a "little bit" when it's all said & done, unfortunately.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, for a predominantly gaming rig..... a 1700X was not a great choice. Nor would I quantify it as "worth" 600EUR for the performance gains you will/may see.

Also, what speed of RAM do you have, specifically? Ryzen really benefits from/needs fast (3000MHz+) memory.

With the driver conflicts etc going on, I'm not surprised performance is noticeably worse.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Which card do you have, specifically?

If it's not doing anything, even once reachign certain temp thresholds - that's a concern.

You could DL/install MSI Afterburner, and set the fan to run full speed at 0'C initially - just to see if it kicks in.

If it doesn't, and the card is still under warranty, I'd look to RMA it. There's really no reason (outside of a disconnected fan), that the fans shouldn't spin up under load use/temps.