600m ethernet port

Jim

I've just got a refurbed 600m laptop. The other day I had a problem
(unrelated to the laptop) and while I was troubleshooting it, I
plugged in an ethernet cable into the ethernet port of this laptop and
noticed the left light on and the right light blinking (viewing from
the rear of the laptop, looking at the ethernet connection top
corners). Is this normal for a "working" ethernet port? Is there a
small software utility I can load on this laptop to test the ethernet
port?

yes, it is normal. the left light is the link light and the right light
shows activity. if you do no have connectivity then look at your network
settings or speak to the administrator of the network that you are trying to
use (you may not have any rights on that network, many office lock their
networks based on the machine address code of the network adapter).

<jim> wrote in message news:u6s721tplkpajtakcsm4l7buddjupomuop@4ax.com...
> I've just got a refurbed 600m laptop. The other day I had a problem
> (unrelated to the laptop) and while I was troubleshooting it, I
> plugged in an ethernet cable into the ethernet port of this laptop and
> noticed the left light on and the right light blinking (viewing from
> the rear of the laptop, looking at the ethernet connection top
> corners). Is this normal for a "working" ethernet port? Is there a
> small software utility I can load on this laptop to test the ethernet
> port?

Did you enable the integrated NIC by pressing Fn +F2?

<jim> wrote in message news:u6s721tplkpajtakcsm4l7buddjupomuop@4ax.com...
> I've just got a refurbed 600m laptop. The other day I had a problem
> (unrelated to the laptop) and while I was troubleshooting it, I
> plugged in an ethernet cable into the ethernet port of this laptop and
> noticed the left light on and the right light blinking (viewing from
> the rear of the laptop, looking at the ethernet connection top
> corners). Is this normal for a "working" ethernet port? Is there a
> small software utility I can load on this laptop to test the ethernet
> port?

Jim

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 00:10:01 GMT, "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Did you enable the integrated NIC by pressing Fn +F2?

I think so but not this way. I went to the network connections to
check that the network icon showed connected and not firewalled for
that incident. Thanks for asking.

Jim

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 23:38:08 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
<muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>yes, it is normal. the left light is the link light and the right light
>shows activity. if you do no have connectivity then look at your network
>settings or speak to the administrator of the network that you are trying to
>use (you may not have any rights on that network, many office lock their
>networks based on the machine address code of the network adapter).

Appreciate the reply. Thank you.

if you are still having problems then explain to us what you are trying to
accomplish (connect to a network, get a cable modem working, get dsl
working) and if other computers or a router is involved... if you don't
have other computers involved and have not used this network port before
then an easy fax may be to delete the adapter from 'system properties' and
have it added back automatically when you restart the system
(start-controlpanel-performanceandmaintenance-system-hardware(tab)-devicemanager(button),
then expand the network adapters category and delete the appropriate adapter
(not the internal wireless adapter that you might also have).

<jim> wrote in message news:tnab21lean8prebidngcro7k3apc47uet7@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 23:38:08 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
> <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
>>yes, it is normal. the left light is the link light and the right light
>>shows activity. if you do no have connectivity then look at your network
>>settings or speak to the administrator of the network that you are trying
>>use (you may not have any rights on that network, many office lock their
>>networks based on the machine address code of the network adapter).
>>

> Appreciate the reply. Thank you.

Jim

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 13:02:57 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
<muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>if you are still having problems then explain to us what you are trying to
>accomplish (connect to a network, get a cable modem working, get dsl
>working) and if other computers or a router is involved... if you don't
>have other computers involved and have not used this network port before
>then an easy fax may be to delete the adapter from 'system properties' and
>have it added back automatically when you restart the system
>(start-controlpanel-performanceandmaintenance-system-hardware(tab)-devicemanager(button),
>then expand the network adapters category and delete the appropriate adapter
>(not the internal wireless adapter that you might also have).
>
><jim> wrote in message news:tnab21lean8prebidngcro7k3apc47uet7@4ax.com...
>> On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 23:38:08 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
>> <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>
>>>yes, it is normal. the left light is the link light and the right light
>>>shows activity. if you do no have connectivity then look at your network
>>>settings or speak to the administrator of the network that you are trying
>>>use (you may not have any rights on that network, many office lock their
>>>networks based on the machine address code of the network adapter).
>>>

>> Appreciate the reply. Thank you.

I've solved my orig problem but this question still makes me wonder if
my refurb laptop is fully operational tho it's not terribly important
to me since I use it in a wireless mode. I guess if I want to know
the internal ethernet card works I may cable it up to the router and
disable the wireless network icon and make the wired networked icon
enabled without the firewall for testing and see if I can browse the
web (of course make sure I'm on the right network). Does this sound
okay??

Good idea.