[SOLVED] 600w Power Supply cant power a GTX 780ti?

Sep 11, 2020
Hey Guys.......So I just got a ASUS ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti Platinum

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-rog-matrix-gtx-780-ti-platinum.b2873

As you see in the spec, the suggest PSU is 600w, and the card has a TDP of 250w.

My PSU is a Cooler Master Masterwatt Lite 600w 230v rated 80 Plus (I am in Germany, so the 230v)

So I put the card in and connected it..got green lights on the 2 8 Pin connectors..but the PC wouldnt start up!
Obviously not getting enough power...but I am using the recommended PSU minumum.

So whats the problem here?? Do power supply manufacturers lie about their products? Even when it says its a 600w
power supply....isnt it?? Or is there some fudging going on here?

How much power do I really then in order to get this beautiful ASUS ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti Platinum to work andn power
the rest of my PC?

ASRock 970 Extreme 4 Motherboard
Phenom II x4 955 BE
12 GB RAM
CPU cooler
4 led fan coolers (eventually I would like to install a few more.

Any POWER experts out there??

Solution
Thanks for the Review information. It didnt test very well I see. Well its new but I bought it back in March or April so I cant return it. I am looking at trying to get a 1000w PSU which will give me some extra breathing room and upgrade potential. I will use this mediocre 600w PSU in another PC build with less demanding components.
A higher quality model, closer to the power level you need may be a better choice than a large capacity model. The PSU will only draw the power it needs so too much extra power is just wasted cash if you can't use it. Check this list for some help. Best choices are tier A or B:
Hey Guys.......So I just got a ASUS ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti Platinum

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/asus-rog-matrix-gtx-780-ti-platinum.b2873

As you see in the spec, the suggest PSU is 600w, and the card has a TDP of 250w.

My PSU is a Cooler Master Masterwatt Lite 600w 230v rated 80 Plus (I am in Germany, so the 230v)

So I put the card in and connected it..got green lights on the 2 8 Pin connectors..but the PC wouldnt start up!
Obviously not getting enough power...but I am using the recommended PSU minumum.

So whats the problem here?? Do power supply manufacturers lie about their products? Even when it says its a 600w
power supply....isnt it?? Or is there some fudging going on here?

How much power do I really then in order to get this beautiful ASUS ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti Platinum to work andn power
the rest of my PC?

ASRock 970 Extreme 4 Motherboard
Phenom II x4 955 BE
12 GB RAM
CPU cooler
4 led fan coolers (eventually I would like to install a few more.

Any POWER experts out there??
You'd think it could do the job, but you may be wrong. It's a poor quality power supply. Reference this review from the experts, to read about its shortcomings and failings. While there may be another issue with your system causing this problem with your GPU, you need to consider getting a better quality power supply regardless. It's even possible replacing the bad PSU could solve your problem. I'm guessing you got the GPU used so it could be bad as well.

Reactions: OmegaMaximus
Sep 11, 2020
You'd think it could do the job, but you may be wrong. It's a poor quality power supply. Reference this review from the experts, to read about its shortcomings and failings. While there may be another issue with your system causing this problem with your GPU, you need to consider getting a better quality power supply regardless. It's even possible replacing the bad PSU could solve your problem. I'm guessing you got the GPU used so it could be bad as well.

Thanks for the Review information. It didnt test very well I see. Well its new but I bought it back in March or April so I cant return it. I am looking at trying to get a 1000w PSU which will give me some extra breathing room and upgrade potential. I will use this mediocre 600w PSU in another PC build with less demanding components.

A higher quality model, closer to the power level you need may be a better choice than a large capacity model. The PSU will only draw the power it needs so too much extra power is just wasted cash if you can't use it. Check this list for some help. Best choices are tier A or B:

Reactions: OmegaMaximus
Solution

TRENDING THREADS