[SOLVED] 60fps on ultra. Need help

Jan 29, 2020
I mostly play World of Warcraft and couple other games. I'm really shooting to play WoW in ultra at 60fps at least. Was looking to upgrade to 1440p but it seems it be expensive to both gpu and monitor at this time. If anyone has solution for that option it'd be greatly appreciated. But if not looking to at least run it on my 1080p for now.

Setup now
Cpu- ryzen7 2700x
Gpu- gtx 1050ti
Ram- 16gb ddr4 3000

Solution
What's wrong with 75hz? Especially with WoW, higher refresh is not really needed for it if it's your primary game and getting something with a good adaptive range works well (75hz user here). Even games like the Division don't really benefit above 75-100hz as well. Tried 75hz and 144hz when I had my 1080 ti and it really didn't make much of a difference, hardly noticeable. Unless your going for competitive FPS there's no need for 144hz+ and even still I do well in Battlefield on 75hz.

Not a fan of used GPU's either unless I personally know the seller.

For a little above your budget you can get this.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: Zotac GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING Video Card ($319.99 @ B&H)
Monitor:...
If you drop down to a 1080p monitor for $220, that's going to "save" you some money and this 5600XT = $280 gets you right to your $500 budget.
Both the 5700 and 1440p monitor I linked are the cheapest of the bunch to fit into your budget though, so you're really looking at spending about the same amount of money for 1080p and a 5600XT/RTX2060. What you get by dropping to a 5600XT/RTX2060 is a better cooler, but lower performance.

Look up Gamers Nexus' review of the 5700(XT?) MSI Evoke card (there's also a tear-down, and perhaps even a third video outlining the "fix" they did). The cooler isn't fantastic out of the box (for a 5700XT), but it can be fixed. Pair that with the fact that the 5700 and 5700XT use the same cooler (but the non-XT consumes less power) and that's step up for that cooler. Then say that if all you're looking for is 5600XT/RTX2060 levels of performance, you can de-tune a 5700 to match that at further reduced power consumption. Depends.

Last edited:

WildCard999

Titan
I'd get the GPU now and save for the monitor. Your monitor is the least upgraded part so get something worthwhile and will last. I know WoW supports 21:9 and looks great on a IPS or VA screen. Depending on income I'd probably grab something along the 5700 XT/2070S now then snag a 3440x1440P monitor and enjoy the beauty of it. Heck even at 2560x1080P the game looks really good.

Jan 29, 2020
Currently I've got about 500$ to spend. So I either get both in that or just one. So by what everyone saying is I'm best get a better gpu then try save up for monitor. Or is there other option to getting both?

WildCard999

Titan
Currently I've got about 500$ to spend. So I either get both in that or just one. So by what everyone saying is I'm best get a better gpu then try save up for monitor. Or is there other option to getting both?

Perhaps this?

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 5700 8 GB DD Ultra Video Card ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer EB275U bmiiiprx 27.0" 2560x1440 75 Hz Monitor ($204.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $524.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-27 18:57 EST-0500

1440P/IPS (excellent colors over VA/TN)/Freesync/75hz.

Jan 29, 2020
That doesn't look too bad. Does fit right around my budget. If I was to wait and try and increase my budget, how much more would i need to be in a good spot for it to last long or is that setup good for that? Or is it more the lower end?

The 5700 is a good card but AMD drivers have been an absolute nightmare which If I would have known how bad they were I probably would have spent more and got a 2070 Super over the 5700XT that I have now.. If it were me I woudl either spend more and get a RTX 2060 Super or save some and get a GTX 1660 Super.

The 5700 is a good card but AMD drivers have been an absolute nightmare which If I would have known how bad they were I probably would have spent more and got a 2070 Super over the 5700XT that I have now.. If it were me I woudl either spend more and get a RTX 2060 Super or save some and get a GTX 1660 Super.

I actually thought i will be literally banned after saying dont pick the amd card since literally everyone suggests these RX 5700 cards in these threads. When i was helping those rx 5700xt owners to troubleshoot the problem we tried multiple drivers with cleanup on DDU between, also windows 10 clean install. Problems always arrived when they started streaming and using more than 1 monitor, only thing that helped was locking motherboard pcie to gen3 instead of gen4.

I actually thought i will be literally banned after saying dont pick the amd card since literally everyone suggests these RX 5700 cards in these threads. When i was helping those rx 5700xt owners to troubleshoot the problem we tried multiple drivers with cleanup on DDU between, also windows 10 clean install. Problems always arrived when they started streaming and using more than 1 monitor, only thing that helped was locking motherboard pcie to gen3 instead of gen4.

The actual hardware is very nice, but the drivers are almost to the point where I feel like AMD just doesn't care which is a shame. The 2020 Drivers were a step up but the updates are coming out so slow and introduce new problems with each version. Im not alone on feeling like AMD relies on the community to bug test them, which is not an acceptable buisiness practice if they want to keep on the roll they've been on., since many like myself probably will spend more and skip the next AMD cards just to have better Nvidia drivers.

The actual hardware is very nice, but the drivers are almost to the point where I feel like AMD just doesn't care which is a shame. The 2020 Drivers were a step up but the updates are coming out so slow and introduce new problems with each version. Im not alone on feeling like AMD relies on the community to bug test them, which is not an acceptable buisiness practice if they want to keep on the roll they've been on., since many like myself probably will spend more and skip the next AMD cards just to have better Nvidia drivers.

I had no idea about the driver issues with rx 5700xt cards, but going gen4 to gen3 "kinda solved" the issue, both of the cards where sent for warranty anyway but that was some progress. So theres hardware conflicts and driver issues with this card? damn

EDIT: quickly checked your motherboard and seems like yours dont even support gen4 so cant be that

Jan 29, 2020
I don't mind going either way. Just looking to upgrade as stated earlier. Would like to do it for the 500$ but if it in better interest maybe I save a little more to get better. That's what I looking to figure out

So I'm probably better off looking to Nvidia for a gpu currently

Yes I would go Nvidia for your GPU if your budget allows. Basically in terms or performance it would be GTX 1660 Super, Then the AMD RX5700 is roughly 15-25% faster depending on the game but you probably will deal with some sort of driver issue, which for me has been a flickering black screen upon startup, which could be worse as some people have black-screen during games, or their fans ramp up to max for no reason, then the RTX 2060 Super is about 10-15% faster then the 5700.