60GB SSD that only shows 100MB total space

Stinger0491

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
Hello,

I have a 60GB SSD drive that doesn't have anything on it. NO FOLDERS OR FILES (no hidden) and is does not have my OS on it. The problem is that it only allows 100MB on the SSD and shows the drive to be only 100MB.

I tested the capacity by putting music on it and it only allowed 100MB to be put on it.

At one time I used it for my OS system. After putting a new OS on a separate SSD I performed a clean disk through the CMD prompt on the SSD and now it only allows 100MB to the disk. I have also gone to the properties to format the disk. The drop down box that says "Capacity" still reads the disk as a 100MB disk.

I have intel rapid storage technology software that reads the disk as a 60BG SSD but my OS reads it differently.

I am running windows 7.

Is there any way to fix this problem?

Solution
OK. That should be easily fixed. The partition needs to be re-allocated. (New partition/formatted) Use Disk manager to create a new simple volume. Let it be the full size of the disk. Then you can start over with the Win installation.

Or better yet, do it in the Win installation prg. Use the disk options to format the disk.
Here's a how to for installing Win7 if you are rusty: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1_15.htm

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It sounds like the main partition is not available. 100MB is about the size of the System Reserved partition Win7 builds along with its main partition. If the Clean command didn't fix it, you may have a dead drive.
What does Disk Management show for that drive? Can you post a pic?

Stinger0491

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
Unfortunately I don't know how to post a pic in the thread.

Under disk management it does say the the drive is "Unallocated" and shows the diak to be a 59.63GB disk and says Not Initialized.

Thank you for your quick response.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
OK. That should be easily fixed. The partition needs to be re-allocated. (New partition/formatted) Use Disk manager to create a new simple volume. Let it be the full size of the disk. Then you can start over with the Win installation.

Or better yet, do it in the Win installation prg. Use the disk options to format the disk.
Here's a how to for installing Win7 if you are rusty: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1_15.htm

Solution

TRENDING THREADS