60GXP Raid0...4x20g vs 2x40

datapulse

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2001
Which setup would you use? Is the speed increase from the 20g to 40g good enough to warrant this? With the 2x40g I always have the option to make it a 3x40 or 4x40...although I probably would never need that much space. Also the 20g $/gig is considerable more expensive.

datapulse

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2001
Oh yeah,
I have a 9.1 10k scsi cheetah, so I guess that makes the 2x40 more attractive since the OS will be on the SCSI(fast) and the raid will be used for files and programs.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I would go with two 40's. For one it will be less of a head ache, and for two less heat in the system. I just got two 30gig Maxtor's for a RIAD 0 and I can't even figure out where I'm going to put them in my case ... I don't know where I would even put four of them if I had them!

<font color=green>"Your call will be answered by the next available Tech Support representative"</font color=green>

FatBurger

Illustrious
If you have room, go for the four. You won't need more space than that, and 4 drives in a RAID 0 will be significantly faster than 2 drives.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

ahallada

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
I've been buying most of my hardware from www.newegg.com and they have the IBM 60GXP 40 GB 7200rpm drives for 107.00 with I believe 7.00 fedex saver shipping. Great company to deal with. For that price just buy a dozen. :)
BTW:Could someone tell me how to do links in this forum. Do you have to type in the damn markup language or is there something I'm not turning on? Thanks.
Allen

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
They say it's like HTML ... Not sure where they learned HTML

Check the FAQ and it should give you everything you can do in the TomsHardware "HTML", under 'Can I use html in my posts?'

<font color=red>"Can you deal with that!"</font color=red>

FatBurger

Illustrious
lol
It is like HTML, compared to say C++. The exact tags are different, and they use [] instead of <>, but the syntax and the theory is basically the same.

-----------------------
Quarter pounder inside