60hz 1080p vs 144hz 1080p

Joshua_82

Reputable
May 23, 2016
Should I really get a 1080p 144hz monitor or just a 1080 60hz monitor? My PC specs: Pentium G3258, R7 370
Is the "screen-tearing" or "stuttering" tolerable to play my games on?

Solution
stuttering occur when you have low framerate, i.e your system cant handle the graphical data it needs to process smoothly

screen tearing mainly occurs when you have a higher fps than the refresh signal of your monitor, i.e too high FPS/your system process data too fast

it is highly unlikely you you will encounter both issues on your system usually it is one or the other

personally i dont think you need more than a 60hz monitor on your system now, since to get the framerate need for screen tearing you would prob have to lower settings so much it wouldnt be worth it for teh high fps

that being said, if you buy a quality 144Hz monitor now, even if you wont display 144fps right now with your system
then you have the monitor ready...

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
stuttering occur when you have low framerate, i.e your system cant handle the graphical data it needs to process smoothly

screen tearing mainly occurs when you have a higher fps than the refresh signal of your monitor, i.e too high FPS/your system process data too fast

it is highly unlikely you you will encounter both issues on your system usually it is one or the other

personally i dont think you need more than a 60hz monitor on your system now, since to get the framerate need for screen tearing you would prob have to lower settings so much it wouldnt be worth it for teh high fps

that being said, if you buy a quality 144Hz monitor now, even if you wont display 144fps right now with your system
then you have the monitor ready when/if you decide to upgrade your system hardware next
and in the few/old games your system can get high fps, then the monitor would benefit already now

Solution

newbie12

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
Depends, do you want 3D? Do you want more perceived smoothness? Do you want less screen tearing once you go pass 60fps? Do you want less input lag? If the answer is yes to all of them, then yes go grab yourself that 144Hz monitor.

:no:No, that would be call lagging. Stuttering is when the GPU is waiting for the CPU to finish up on it's thing so that it can proceed. If you have a slow CPU and a fast GPU and both are required to do some work but the slow CPU is too slow to catch up with the fast GPU(even if they're matched up fine), then the GPU has to pause for a bit to let the CPU catch up and in this time is where you would get the stuttering affect because the GPU has to pause for that slight moment.

But both can still happen nonetheless! :)

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

144HZ does not automatically equal low input lag, varies greatly from monitor to monitor some 60hz have less lag than 144hz, all in teh quality

basically what i said, since the cpu-gpu hick up will automatically cause an instant frame drop, stuttering never occurs when a constant fps is maintained, it simply cant because the steady fps wouldnt be maintained when the systems cant communicate proper fast enough together
there is a difference in constant low frame rate like crappy consol 20fps laggyness, or framerate variance, and then playing a smooth 90fps, with stuttering, which will then in an instant tank your fps when it occurs, which is why the stuttering is so noticeable, even if only drops within 1 frame

true, but isnt often tho, and with his system highly unlikely ;)

while he unlikely would go much past 60 fps if any with his current system, and thus 144Hz is far from needed, i do agree a144hz should be considered, but mainly for the use of the few instances where the fps might be attained now, and then having the monitor "ready" when upgrading hardware/system in teh future
screen tearing shouldnt really be an issue on teh current setup, and the monitor wont really help with stuttering anyway since thats his hardware, which is getting on the older and slower side, so probably while in 9/10 games a 144Hz monitor wont help him in those regards, it would be useful iin teh few, and then in the future when upgraded,

newbie12

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
Oh well, I just keep hearing/reading these things and they got stuck in my head so now when someone asks about input lag on higher refresh rated monitors vs. standard 60hz monitors, I automatically default to saying yes the one with higher than 60hz refresh rate will have lower input lag. There was a theory and background info on this but I forgot all about it, but I do remember reading about it....hahaha

Ok, do you know any 60Hz monitor that have less input lag than a 144Hz one? How about the best(in terms of their lowest input lag of their classes) 60Hz vs. the best 144Hz?

Well your explanation to me read out the definition of general lag in the sense where your system is unable to push the fps fast enough so you get lag....you didn't mention anything about pauses on the GPU side which is the cause of the stuttering affect....

Yeah this is an interesting point, as I've played a game before where one point of the game, it's high and smooth 60fps but then another point of the game and it's low but still smooth 20fps. So you're saying if a game is like this, stuttering will almost, but not always, ensue?

I also believe stuttering can be the result of software issues too...like perhaps a bug in a game..... So you could potentially have double the stuttering effect(not sure if possible) from both hardware and software!

Ye nice, I agree. Also, 144 is divisible evenly by 24 as some movies are at this fps, this would make watching them much smoother too.

Back to the thread in question, from personal experiences, screen tearing is tolerable to me, but to others it may not be and stuttering is definitely not tolerable for me.

Stuttering is always due to software,if a game is written well you will get low FPS on a slow CPU but it will be steady.
Hitching,where you play smooth but once in a while you get a sudden and heavy drop in FPS is almost always a problem of not getting needed data(most of the times textures) from the disk to the GPU or where ever it needs to go.
Frame variance is when you get high FPS looking in one direction and low FPS looking in an other,because one direction has very few and the other a lot of objects (fallout 4)
(yeah I know benchmark sites call it frame variance even if you get 0,5ms difference between frames)
Jitter/judder is the GPU and the monitor not syncing up correctly giving you a very jumpy image.

There are lots of different things and a lot of people call everything stutter keeping the confusion going.

As for the original question even if he only gets the benefit of 144 by playing LoL it would be worth it.
There are not many AAA titles where you will get such high FPS but a lot of online/free to play/moba stuff will easily reach that kind of FPS.

Gnuffi

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
point is no matter what we define stuttering as/agree on, stuttering is NEVER because of of monitor and/or refresh rate/Hz
its always a hardware/software issue, and as such one can safely pick a 60HZ or 144Hz since those will only deal with tearing, but tearing like stuttering will ofc also be somewhat dependent on hardware, but stuttering is ALWAYS hardware/software related, and never monitor

i always think its ok to get a high Hz monitor vs a low Hz even if current hardware might not fully use it in teh majority of the time, since monitor upgrades shouldnt necessarily be done too often if its a decent quality
just like no need to buy a new TV each year, a good monitor should last while before something new comes out that brings about enough changes to warrant another quality purchase
that said, if a person know their hardware will almost never benefit from teh 144Hz, and budget is of concern and one can get a much better quality 60hz monitor within the price, then i'd pick quality over speed, if ones hardware cant use teh 144Hz fully anyway
if a person does mainly plays play low demand games the majority of the time, that could benefit from 144Hz despite low hardware, by all means get it, since its the majority time its well spend/suited for purpose

newbie12

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
So if a game stutters, we can blame/complain to the devs of said game, since apparently it's got nothing to do with hardware or other software installed on the computer?
Oh, so stuttering is further broken down into categories? I didn't there were other types of stuttering... Is that all of them or is there more types?

So my explanation of stuttering would fall under hitching then...? Ah, so it's called frame variance....interesting...and it apparently falls under stuttering...I've had a few of these in some games. Silky smooth 120 fps(for example) in one direction and then suddenly a drop down to 40 or so fps when looking in the other, but still smooth so I didn't experience hitching... Jitter/judder, that's screen tearing right...? or is that like input lag and screen tearing at the same time...? If so I did have a couple or so game I've played where I definitely know I press the shoot/execute button but the on the screen, the character doesn't even shoot/execute said move until I have to press it a second/third time or button smash the key until it works! hahaha

TRENDING THREADS